Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,999
Points 144,260
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:02 PM

My husband loves Mark Twain and his down to earth quotes. He quotes him often. For example: "Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in".

So, he's asked me for a Mark Twain lap quilt.  I'm going to have to give lots of thought on how to do this.

Oh dear, why couldn't he just ask me for a quilt with dogs?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,273
Points 389,722
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:19 PM

Judy,

this sounds like an interesting project. I'm not sure how much of it is still available but there is a Mark Twain collection of fabrics by Windham Fabrics that would work for you.

If not you can get some of his quotes and either print them on fabrics like is done with photo quilts or you can write them out with a pigma pen.

I look forward to seeing what you decide to make.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:35 PM

Judy

This could be a really interesting quilt.  There are so many things associated with Mark Twain.  Hope we get progress pics.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,476
Points 24,140

River City quilts has the Mark Twain Collection by Windham Fabrics.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:12 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

My husband loves Mark Twain and his down to earth quotes. He quotes him often. For example: "Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in".

So, he's asked me for a Mark Twain lap quilt.  I'm going to have to give lots of thought on how to do this.

Oh dear, why couldn't he just ask me for a quilt with dogs?

Mainly because Mark Twain loved CATS!  And he HATED dogs!  It's true!  We went to his house in Connecticut about 3 years ago, and took the tour, and came home with lots of books.....  there are even a few photos with him seated and a cat is there... (but I digress.... I know what you meant ;D) I wonder what kind of quilt you can make (but seriously, put a cat in there, along with a few "quote" blocks.)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,999
Points 144,260

Elaine Phillips:

River City quilts has the Mark Twain Collection by Windham Fabrics.

Thanks, I checked there and they have a limited selection. Wyndham shows the entire collection but the fabrics are all archived and no shops are listed that carry them. There are two I really liked but can't find them online anywhere. My DH is going to draw an outline of Mark Twain for me to embroider in one square. He wants to do some paintings of Twain type things (riverboat, etc) I could reproduce in other blocks. Perhaps the rest of the quilt will be sampler blocks. I may embroider some of his more outrageous quotes in other blocks.

George reminds me that, after the infamous Shrimp Boat quilt for my daughter and son in law, I said I'd never do another quilt to order again. But this sounds like fun and he isn't picky. He's excited about being in on the design process. Maybe I'll have a block or two to work on at the retreat in Leavenworth.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 9:17 PM

It will be interesting to see what you come up with for the quilt. =0)

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 9:26 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
George reminds me that, after the infamous Shrimp Boat quilt for my daughter and son in law, I said I'd never do another quilt to order again. But this sounds like fun and he isn't picky. He's excited about being in on the design process.

I think any husband that shows this much interest in his wife's quilting deserves a custom quilt made just for him!  How fun this will be!  Can't wait to see some of the blocks.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 255,554
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 10:30 PM

Judy, I know there are quilt shops in Hannibal Mo, you might check some of them and see if they have any of the fabric your lookin for ..  I hope that helps some..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 355
LSS replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 11:58 AM

Hi Judy,

I live in the PNW also, and am currently working on a quilt using the Mark Twain RIver Stories pattern that I found online for free (still available).  It's a beautiful pattern, but pretty detailed (star blocks using lots of 2" x 3.5" geese units).   I also would've purchased some of the fabrics, but they were mostly not available.  I am using this quilt as a memory quilt, with all the 6" and 3" image blocks as family pictures I print on inkjet fabric. 

Your project sounds interesting, and I hope you have fun making it. 

Lin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,999
Points 144,260

LSS:

I live in the PNW also, and am currently working on a quilt using the Mark Twain RIver Stories pattern that I found online for free (still available).  ...Your project sounds interesting, and I hope you have fun making it. 

Lin

Lin

Thanks, I found the free pattern you mentioned and have printed it. Perhaps it'll give me some incentive to get started on the project. The fabrics I wanted don't seem to be available anymore.  Most of the quilt is going to be favorite quotes by Mark Twain and I would have liked to use the print fabrics in adjoining blocks. I suppose I could print images, from a book I have, on fabric but  that's not my first choice.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 355
LSS replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 12:23 PM

Judy,

Check these links out -- if you like it, you can probably get this one (Tom Sawyer, riverboats in color, used in the larger images in the quilt pattern) mail order, and they possibly could even have the one with the etching type portraits of MT.  They don't have much of an online fabric selection, but it'd be worth sending them an email to see what else is there.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151802-1.htm

the fabric store that has it:   http://www.hickorystickquiltshop.com/main.html?src=%2F

Good luck tracking it down!  There are a few other places that have some of the flower or marbled fabrics too, but you probably already found those (I searched for River Stories / Windham, Mark Twain fabric and found a few).  Also, if you ever get to S. King County, there's a fabric store in Des Moines (Carriage Country Quilt Shop) with more traditional fabrics that might fit your project better.

Lin

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,999
Points 144,260

LSS:

Judy,

Check these links out -- the fabric store that has it:   http://www.hickorystickquiltshop.com/main.html?src=%2F

Good luck tracking it down! 

Lin

Thanks Lin. We were actually in Hannibal a few years ago. I'll give them a call and see what they have.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,999
Points 144,260

LSS:

Judy,

Check these links out -- the fabric store that has it:   http://www.hickorystickquiltshop.com/main.html?src=%2F

Good luck tracking it down! 

Lin

Thanks Lin. We were actually in Hannibal a few years ago. I'll give them a call and see what they have.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 355
LSS replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:13 PM

Judy,

I remembered that Samuel Clemens had lived in Keokuk, IA, so I contacted a quilt shop there, asking about the River Stories fabrics, but most specifically the portrait/book illustration fabric in aged browns (#27583), and she has it, along with much of the collection still in stock, for $9.50/yd!  Jackie Rector at Quilt'n Etc (319) 524-1327.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Lin

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.