Fabric for Unknown Use or New Home

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 7 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500
June Slay posted on Fri, Aug 5 2011 11:06 PM

I've got several pieces of upholstery quality (Used on church pews, restaurant seats, interior design) that are in 1 yard to several yard pieces. Any suggestions on use? I can only use so many shopping bags even if the baggers wish I'd revise or lose a few. What type of quilt would you do with such heavy, bulky, awkward fabric?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,085 Posts
Points 66,760
Answered (Verified) Robin replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:15 AM
Verified by June Slay

June,

How about recovering chair seats?  Or making indoor/outdoor cushions or pillows you could make them into a patchwork design and take your quilting to the great America outdoors.   May sure you spray them with some waterproofing spray.

Robin

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:37 AM
Verified by June Slay

June

With several pieces sewn together they make a great backing for a picnic quilt.  They hold up better being on the ground than regular weight cotton.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Verified by June Slay

Sew them up in a pillow case fashion, collect your fabric and batting scraps in them, sew up the end and donate to a local animal shelter. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Answered (Verified) Patti replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:39 AM
Verified by June Slay

I think it was the last Quilter's newsletter magazine that had some amazingly beautiful chairs upholstered in patchwork.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 25
Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500
Verified by June Slay

I'm not good at making chair covers.  I tried it by doing it free hand and it looked it.  I'd love to make a cushion to go on top of my blanket chest to make it into a window seat  or a new piano bench cover.  The whole problem is that I've got 2 or 3 really large tote boxes of this type fabric. 

The animal shelter would be a great idea .

You are all the best.  Thank you for your kindness and sharing ideas.

Love, June

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 1:47 PM
Verified by June Slay

i've seen a couch covered in pieced upholstry fabric that was pieced in a crazy pattern, and log cabin.  that would make a great pillow or chairs seats too. 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by June Slay

Hi June,

I used my home dec/ upholstery fabric for a small quilted pad that fit the size of the back of my car and one for my husbands.  It is more durable and comes in so handy, like covering groceries to help keep them cooler. I laso made an envelope to store it in when not in use.

Judylee

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,085 Posts
Points 66,760
Answered (Verified) Robin replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:15 AM
Verified by June Slay

June,

How about recovering chair seats?  Or making indoor/outdoor cushions or pillows you could make them into a patchwork design and take your quilting to the great America outdoors.   May sure you spray them with some waterproofing spray.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:37 AM
Verified by June Slay

June

With several pieces sewn together they make a great backing for a picnic quilt.  They hold up better being on the ground than regular weight cotton.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Verified by June Slay

Sew them up in a pillow case fashion, collect your fabric and batting scraps in them, sew up the end and donate to a local animal shelter. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Answered (Verified) Patti replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:39 AM
Verified by June Slay

I think it was the last Quilter's newsletter magazine that had some amazingly beautiful chairs upholstered in patchwork.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500
Verified by June Slay

I'm not good at making chair covers.  I tried it by doing it free hand and it looked it.  I'd love to make a cushion to go on top of my blanket chest to make it into a window seat  or a new piano bench cover.  The whole problem is that I've got 2 or 3 really large tote boxes of this type fabric. 

The animal shelter would be a great idea .

You are all the best.  Thank you for your kindness and sharing ideas.

Love, June

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 1:47 PM
Verified by June Slay

i've seen a couch covered in pieced upholstry fabric that was pieced in a crazy pattern, and log cabin.  that would make a great pillow or chairs seats too. 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by June Slay

Hi June,

I used my home dec/ upholstery fabric for a small quilted pad that fit the size of the back of my car and one for my husbands.  It is more durable and comes in so handy, like covering groceries to help keep them cooler. I laso made an envelope to store it in when not in use.

Judylee

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500

So a quick pieced cover for the back of the car, a paif ot beds for the border collies (again), and in my extra free time placemats and coasters for a shelter.    These are some really great ideas and I look forward to putting it to work and making it move and productive in the middle of my quilt top I'm working on for my son.  I want to have it tottally finished for him by December for his 21st bday.  He's my one and only birth child.

Projects as they come will be posted and if you'd like a helpping of fabric, let me know and you can pay for the shipping.  I'll take pic of colors and what we are working with too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,085 Posts
Points 66,760
Robin replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:37 AM

June,

If you are interested in sharing some local teachers may want some to cover classroom bulletin boards with.   So you might check around with some of your teacher friends.

Robin

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use