Thread

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500
June Slay posted on Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:48 AM

I just got a new sewing machine last week.  When I got it, the girl told me that my thread I was using was "bad"/not good enough and that I needed to use expensive thread.  I know that Sulky is great, but what do you use when you are sewing together a quilt top?  Do you have a brand preference?  Best place to find?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,340 Posts
Points 38,910
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:05 AM
Verified by June Slay

Hi June and congratulations on your new sewing machine.  I use a number of threads but the one I love for piecing is Aurafil.  It is available on line or at shows.  It is also expensive but I think it lasts a long time, and doesn't produce a lot of dust for your machine.  It seems as if the bobbin lasts forever. I like to use Essential brand from Connecting Threads for quilting.  It is much less expensive and also available on line.  Hope this helps.      Mimi

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630
Verified by June Slay

Lint is a huge problem with machines.  It can really cause a clog up and cause a lot of problems.  Not all threads are low lint so thats probably why the sales person told you to upgrade your thread. 

• | Post Points: 25
Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020
Verified by June Slay

Congrats on your new machine!! :-)  I also do what Mimi does, mostly 50/3 ply Aurifil for piecing as it's a bit thinner than the regular 50/2 ply thread so doesn't take up as much space in the seam allowance.  Hardly ever have to use a scant 1/4" anymore.

I also have a LOT of Essentials threads, too.  Use those mostly for machine quilting and some piecing.  The price is right, especially when they're on sale, and they are right NOW for a while longer.

I've heard from many quilters that their sewing machine dealer told them not to use less expensive threads and/or to use a certain brand - usually the one they sell!  It's just my humble opinion, but I believe they are just trying to sell what they offer and are doing the customer a terrible disservice, as there are LOTS of wonderful threads out there that will work with most machines just fine.

A qulity friend of mine has been told by her Janome dealer to use ONLY Gutterman threads (that's what she sells, of couse).  Many, many other Janome owners use many other threads and are doing just fine.  You decide.

I do also use some Superior Threads, mostly for machine quilting, too, but am looking forward to trying out their Bottom Line thread for bobbins.  Bob Purcell of Superior Threads (no affiliation) has a wealth of thread knowledge on their site.  They are my 'go to' site for thread, needle and machine troubleshooting when related to threads/needles site.

Hope this helps,

Karla

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,340 Posts
Points 38,910
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:05 AM
Verified by June Slay

Hi June and congratulations on your new sewing machine.  I use a number of threads but the one I love for piecing is Aurafil.  It is available on line or at shows.  It is also expensive but I think it lasts a long time, and doesn't produce a lot of dust for your machine.  It seems as if the bobbin lasts forever. I like to use Essential brand from Connecting Threads for quilting.  It is much less expensive and also available on line.  Hope this helps.      Mimi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630
Verified by June Slay

Lint is a huge problem with machines.  It can really cause a clog up and cause a lot of problems.  Not all threads are low lint so thats probably why the sales person told you to upgrade your thread. 

• | Post Points: 25
Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020
Verified by June Slay

Congrats on your new machine!! :-)  I also do what Mimi does, mostly 50/3 ply Aurifil for piecing as it's a bit thinner than the regular 50/2 ply thread so doesn't take up as much space in the seam allowance.  Hardly ever have to use a scant 1/4" anymore.

I also have a LOT of Essentials threads, too.  Use those mostly for machine quilting and some piecing.  The price is right, especially when they're on sale, and they are right NOW for a while longer.

I've heard from many quilters that their sewing machine dealer told them not to use less expensive threads and/or to use a certain brand - usually the one they sell!  It's just my humble opinion, but I believe they are just trying to sell what they offer and are doing the customer a terrible disservice, as there are LOTS of wonderful threads out there that will work with most machines just fine.

A qulity friend of mine has been told by her Janome dealer to use ONLY Gutterman threads (that's what she sells, of couse).  Many, many other Janome owners use many other threads and are doing just fine.  You decide.

I do also use some Superior Threads, mostly for machine quilting, too, but am looking forward to trying out their Bottom Line thread for bobbins.  Bob Purcell of Superior Threads (no affiliation) has a wealth of thread knowledge on their site.  They are my 'go to' site for thread, needle and machine troubleshooting when related to threads/needles site.

Hope this helps,

Karla

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500

Thanks for all the replies.  They were most helpful and gave me a lot of insight that I hadn't thought about.  I guess it will be just like getting used to the old Janome I ordered out of the JC Penney catalog 10 years ago.  Funny, now they don't even do that anymore. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
434 Posts
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 10:43 PM

I also do what Mimi does, mostly 50/3 ply Aurifil for piecing as it's a bit thinner than the regular 50/2 ply thread so doesn't take up as much space in the seam allowance.  Hardly ever have to use a scant 1/4" anymore.

Karla, I am on the Red Rock Threads site and see where their Aurifil thread is broken down into weights but don't see where I can get more detailed than that. When I go into the 50w all I see is the colors. Is there another site I should be looking? I would like to try the 50/3w you write about. Currently I use Gutterman or Mettler in my BabyLock Esante as those are about the only two threads, I have found, that won't mess up the machine.  Thank you for your help!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020

Hi,

I am SO glad you wrote to ask me about this, as I had quite the oldtimer moment on this issue.  It IS 50/2, not 50/3 like I wrote.  Sheesh.  Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!  LOL  SO sorry for the confusion.  Again, thanks for inquiring so I could set the record straight. 

The site you're on usually has about the best price unless you see it on sale elsewhere, which does happen on occasion. 

Hope this helps,

Karla

Top 150 Contributor
Female
434 Posts
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 11:30 PM

Quilthappy7:

I50/2, not 50/3

I still cant' find a break down of threat sized once in the 50w section of threads. You mention 50/2 or 50/3. The only thing that is shown is the '50w' and the colors along with other order information that does not include '/2 or /3'. You think you've lost your mind?! I beleive both of our minds have taken a vacation and are not answering the phone!! lol THANKS for your help.

btw I'm still on Red Rock Threads site

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020

Again, sorry... for not fully answering your question.  I'm soooo tired tonight.  Okay, I just went onto their site.  You are correct, they do not specify whether their thread is two or three ply.  Hmm.  I just looked at a new spool of thread from them, and it says " Aurifil Mako NE 50/2, 100% Made in Italy" and then the color # info.  Why they don't advise you of the ply, etc. on the first page of Aurifil you come to, I do now know.  

Here's the page I'm looking at and where I order from:

http://www.redrockthreads.com/aurifil-thread/

And, here's what it says::

50wt Mako Cotton
A higher thread weight indicates a finer (thinner) thread. Finer thread will emphasize your fabric choices and quilt design. The most popular weight of Aurifil Thread is their finest, 50 weight thread.

Here's where I often buy my Aurifil thread from.  She has some close out prices($7 ea) on some colors that are on clearance.  She will ship up til 26 spools for only $5 shipping!

http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html

Some sites will specify that the Aurifil is indeed 2 ply, others just call it 50 wt.  Why, I'm afraid I do not know.

Hopefully, this info clears the muddy waters a little... :-)

Karla

Top 150 Contributor
Female
434 Posts
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 12:14 AM

Karla - THANK YOU! The waters are clear and spring like. That is the page I was on so at least I was moving in the right direction. Thanks for the other site! Have a nice night/morning. I'm about ready to hit the sack and afraid I'm going to dream about work (in training). I'll have 8 hours in before I even punch in! lol...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 1:45 AM

This confused me for a bit since I didn't answer any questions.  Then I realized that I'm not the only Karla around, LOL.

Karla, Fernley, NV

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,040 Posts
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:21 AM

Quilthappy7:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Karla, I have this saying I cross stitched hanging on my kitchen wall.  It's been there for years.  LOL

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020

YAY!  We have clear waters and minds!!  What a deal!  LOL  I just love being on the 'same page', ha ha.  You are most welcome for the other site info, too.  I didn't remember who they were until I was doing the Aurifil search, so that worked out well for both of us. :-)

Hope you were able to sleep and not dream all night about work. :-)  I am going to have a great day;  my best quilty friend is coming over for our monthly get together.  Yippee!  You have a wonderful day, too!

The other Karla :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020

Hi Karla,

Sorry 'bout the confusion.  I only knew ONE other Karla during my whole school like and now it seems we're everywhere!  I don't see too many 'K' Karlas, tho.  Nice to meet you.

Karla in CO :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 1,020

Hi Marie,

Aw, how sweet is that? :-)  I'm afraid if I post it somewhere, then I can see it, then I might really believe it!  LOL  Glad you're enjoying yours.  I'm sure it's extra special because YOU made it!! :-)  Thanks for sharing this.

Karla in CO

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use