I Just Joined QCA

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz Posted: Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:04 AM

Hi Everyone!  My name is Sheri.  I live in Michigan but hope to return to Arizona, where I lived for several years, in the not too distant future.  I have considered myself a quilter for nearly 30 years but haven't done much for many of those years.  Recently the quilt bug has bitten and I've been busy with several projects.

I have a question for you... Do you use a hoop or frame when hand quilting?  I have never been able to get comfortable with a hoop or any method that makes my work taut.  I prefer to baste really well and quilt my project in my lap.  I'm wondering if it's just me or are there others who feel the same way.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:07 AM

I'm not a hand quilter so can't answer your question but welcome to the club. Someone out there feels the same as you I'm sure.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 12,675

Welcome Sheri.  Where are you in MI?  I'm in Battle Creek.  Happy Quilting!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,454
Points 361,812
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 2:07 PM

Hi Sheri. Welcome to the group. I have a hand quilting frame but when I'm too lazy to set it up or I have a small project I use a hoop. I've never hand quilted without either one but I know of a few quilters who are quite comfortable without either one.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 2:46 PM

I'm in Muskegon.  You're not too far from Shipshewana.....do you go there often?  It's a trip I want to make in a few weeks.  It's been years since I've been there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 2:49 PM

I'm in Muskegon.  You're not too far from Shipshewana, IN.  Do you go there often?  It's a trip I want to make soon.  It's been years since I've been there.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,341
Points 414,694
gini replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 4:42 PM

hi sheri, welcome to the group.  it depends on the quilt, how much quilting i am going to do.   i have closely basted quilts and used no frame, or i have done some minimal quilting with a frame and them went back and finished the quiling without a frame.   most of the time i use the white pvc pipe frame.   it works good and i can get it fairly loose pretty easily,  it's call a q-snap frame.   

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Welcome Sheri

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 12,675

Sheri,

I am about 1.5 hours from Shipshewana.  I go there about once a year, sometimes two.  I will be going this November to a 4 day quilt retreat sponsored by a local quilt shop.  I went last year and it was great.  I don't know if you remember Lolly's but it burned to the ground a few years ago.  It has been rebuilt and is back to being it's wonderful self. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome Sheri.  I lived in Southwestern Michigan for 15 years.  My sons were born in St. Joseph Hospital.  Ex hubby had family in Muskegon.  He may still have some stray cousins there. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group Sheri.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 10:50 PM

Welcome Sheri, you've come to the right place for quilting questions.  I don't hand quilt but I'm sure you'll get several answers to your question very soon.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:37 PM

Sheri welcome to the club..you'er gonna love it ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:11 AM

Prairie Dog:

Sheri,

I am about 1.5 hours from Shipshewana.  I go there about once a year, sometimes two.  I will be going this November to a 4 day quilt retreat sponsored by a local quilt shop.  I went last year and it was great.  I don't know if you remember Lolly's but it burned to the ground a few years ago.  It has been rebuilt and is back to being it's wonderful self. 

Prairie Dog,

I don't remember the names of the shops except Yoder's, of course!, because it was so many years ago.  The quilt retreat sounds fun.  Enjoy!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  

Do those of you who don't hand quilt send out your quilts to be quilted or do you machine quilt with your sewing machines?  I had a project professionally quilted but with the number of UFO's I have, it would get expensive!  I have an old (1984) Bernina 930 that I love.  It's a work horse and from what I've been told, a very sought after machine.  I have a walking foot for it and have played with it but space under the arm is tight.  I wouldn't part with it but would like to get a Baby Lock Symphony which has a longer arm.  If any of you machine quilt, do you have any recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use