Top 10 Posters

Long Arm Sewing machines

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195
Granny M posted on Wed, Aug 3 2011 6:53 PM

I have been saving and saving for a long arm which is almost within my reach.  At least I am at the research stage of the types of machines.  I know several of you have gotten long arms in the past year.  Would you share your experiece.  The good, bad and ugly.  This is a big investment for anyone, for me it will be a one time purchase so I want to be really sure when I buy.   So tell me about the features, cost, ease of use, problems anything else you can think of.  Really appreciate the help.  Also if anyone bought on line.   I am also wondering if there is a handiquilter discount through QCA

Granny M

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Longarm Q & A ???  Not very creative, but suggests that people can post questions.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
440 Posts
Points 6,980
Mz M replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 11:03 PM

Granny M:

I DID IT, I BOUGHT A LONG ARM AND IT WAS SET UP TODAY     I got the baby lock crown jewel. 

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can only imagine how much fun you are going to have! I have been looking at that machine and you got yourself a beaut!

Mz M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

How about "Longarmers Unite" as the name for our discussion stream?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
808 Posts
Points 12,404

Congrats Granny M. I knew you couldn't hold out much longer till you bought one. You sound like me. I couldn't sleep or rest till I got my Gabby.  One thing every one tells you is relax. Well it works but, that is the hardest thing to manage. I catch my self with a death grip on the thing like it's going to fly out the door. Well, it feels like it might. LOL

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 40
BelleF replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 8:45 AM

OK everyone,  I DID IT, I BOUGHT A LONG ARM AND IT WAS SET UP TODAY  -----

Congratulations!  You will love it once you get used to everything and those quilts will be finished in no time.  

Keep practicing  as that way you will get to know your machine and any quirks, tension fixes and just the feel of how it moves.  Work with both manual and stitch regulation mode as they feel very different and tell us how it is going.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 8:46 AM

Congrats on your purchase, Granny M :-) !!

Check out the FMQ (free motion quilting) group if you haven't already (I can't remember if you were part of the original thread on that or not)  - there should be some advice there that applies to working with a long arm (taking your time, matching the speed of the machine moving to the needle's speed, etc).  Practice is surely the key & you'll get your rhythm down.  Relax & have fun with it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:01 AM

Congratulations Granny on your new Longarm.  I know you will love it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Granny M:
Sure sounds like everyone gets a whole lot more in the way of service than I will be able to.

I still have to take the machine (lets see,  hmmm, 280 kilometers one way is about 185 miles)  So, it isn't exactly local but as I live with a set of keys in my hand, its no big deal for me to run in for the day.  (and shop)  As for tecnical help, i emailed the help line and got the head of engineering to answer my question on the Fusion and a small (live with it until its service time) problem. 

Not Ranked
Female
64 Posts
Points 1,010

Hi I just bought a used APQS Millenium from APQS.  They have been very nice to deal with.  It is a big investment, even used!  I do love the machine so far.  My suggestion to you would be to make absolutely sure you have plenty of room.  I thought I did because we refinished the basement but didn't really think about all the room you need around the machine for working space, or the fact that there is a structural support pole in the middle of my new sewing room (we refinished the basement) which made options of how to position it trickier.   I didn't have access to shows either but was able to view many machines by finding used machines for sale on Long Arm University website in my area.  It seemed to me that everyone selling a used machine was doing so to upgrade to a larger one.  That's what led me to just bite the bullet and get the Millenium because like you, I only plan on doing this one time!  Best of luck and have fun!!  I'd love to know what you end up with and how you are doing. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:48 PM

Charlotte Casey:
Hi I just bought a used APQS Millenium from APQS. 

I love my APQS.  I haven't had any issues with it yet...Can't wait to see some of your quilts.

Not Ranked
Female
31 Posts
Points 575

I would love it, I am new to longarming and would like the support and tips to keep me going.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Congrats Granny M,

You can friend me any time and I will answer whatever question you have to the best of my ability.LOL!  I love my Jewel and have taught 2 others to use their machines.  You will be surprised how quickly you become skilled at your machine!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I haven't heard of a machine that was heavy enough to require structural support.  Most of them are lighter than a sofa or bookcase (my bookcases anyway)

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 30
nebrryan replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:27 PM

I would love it!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Jeanine did start a new discussion thread for mid & long-armers to share questions, answers, tips, and opinions.  Please don't post here any longer.  Click on the following link to go to "Longarmers Share."

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/t/23988.aspx?PageIndex=1

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 4 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use