Top 10 Posters

Long Arm Sewing machines

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195
Granny M posted on Wed, Aug 3 2011 6:53 PM

I have been saving and saving for a long arm which is almost within my reach.  At least I am at the research stage of the types of machines.  I know several of you have gotten long arms in the past year.  Would you share your experiece.  The good, bad and ugly.  This is a big investment for anyone, for me it will be a one time purchase so I want to be really sure when I buy.   So tell me about the features, cost, ease of use, problems anything else you can think of.  Really appreciate the help.  Also if anyone bought on line.   I am also wondering if there is a handiquilter discount through QCA

Granny M

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Granny M,

I have a Baby Lock Jewel and have been quilting for 1 1/2 years.  I love my machine!  I really suggest that you go to any and all quilting expos and try every machine that they have, which is what I did.  I chose my Jewel for ease of use. Also keep in mind that  those machines are already set up and tweaked for you so that you will fall in love with them.  When you get it home there is a lot of set up and stress that goes into personalizing the machine for yourself.  I hope you have a very handy Hubby or the dealer that you purchase from sets up your machine for you, then you can tweak it to fit your needs. The biggest thing that all who I have spoken too have said is that space needed.  It takes a lot of space.  

Judylee

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Good advice Judy, but I do not live where there are expos.   The small quilt shows here never have long arm vendors.  I am traveling to a dealer of baby lock tomorrow for a demo.  It is the closest shop that handles any type of long arm.  The rest I have called on are 85 to 100 miles away. 

Is the Jewel and 18 inch throat. 

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,571 Posts
Points 30,609

Hi Granny M.

I have a Gammill... the 18 Inch throat.. I luv my "Gammi... your choice of long arms should be after you try as many as you can.. I took me a couple of years to decide which one to get... Good luck.... any machine you choose Im sure will be great...I choose mine for ease of use and great customer support and company longevity..  Gammill has a great rep...

have fun searching..

Kelley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
809 Posts
Points 12,424

I have a question. It seems we are getting a lot of members that own longarm machines now, so my question is " am I the only one that would like to have a longarm machine group? " 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,571 Posts
Points 30,609

Yes that would be great to have a long arm group...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
185 Posts
Points 2,800

Granny M,

I bought a Tin Lizzie this past Spring.  I did what has been suggested here - tried alot of them before deciding.  My favorites were the Tin Lizzie and the Gammill and liked them equally but the Tin Lizzie was about 2000 less so I went with that one and so far really like it.  If at all possible, get it from a good dealer who will do set up and come for repairs, if needed.  I live near Chciago and bought from a dealer in Toledo(about a 4 hour drive which they said they do often.  (they told me they have sold to and set up for folks as far away as Florida.- They drove here for the set up took which took about 3 -4 hours to put together the frame and spend time with me going thru how it all works and letting me play while they were still here.  So far I love it but wish I had more time for working on it.  Downside - the frames take ALOT of space.  Good Luck!!

Margaret

Top 100 Contributor
Female
809 Posts
Points 12,424

So, how do we go about getting a group started?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
185 Posts
Points 2,800

Great idea!  I learn alot just by reading what every has to say!

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 11:46 PM

send a post to admin requesting a group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 15

I bought a 17" Voyager 2 years ago.  It does everything I ask and except for a little thread breakage from time to time (user error) it's been great.  My advice above what's been posted though is to make sure you have a support system in place.  I purchased through a local dealer who led me to believe she was very knowledgeable and would supply any support I needed.  WRONG!  Within a month I knew more than she did and there was no support.  The biggest problem I have is keeping the tension aligned when changing thread types to prevent thread breakage and keep quality stitching.  If you don't have longarm support ask your local sewing machine dealer if they would be willing to provide some technical help from time to time - make it clear they have to come to you though.  Right now I stand alone and it's very time consuming when technical issues come up and you just have to "fiddle" with it to find the solution.  The comments are right about space.  The longarm frame takes up an enormous amount of space.  My frame is literally wall to wall but it's worth it.

namcdowell

Top 100 Contributor
Female
809 Posts
Points 12,424

Thanks Gini, I think it would be great to have a group to share information like, where do you buy your thread, tools and etc. First I would like to hear from all those interested before I bother adm. Wouldn't want to start a group and then see it fall on it's face. You know what I mean. Not enough interest. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

a group is a great idea.  I have a HandiQuilter Fusion and I love it, when I have time to use it, which hasn't been much.  It has the most quilting area I could get on a machine that could be serviced relatively localy.  which is important. you don't want to slog your machine for miles and miles to get it serviced.  they are heavy and awkward. That left the Gammil out for me, I didn't even look at it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
809 Posts
Points 12,424

Hi Vivian, It is 65 miles to my gammill dealer but I have found they can work miracles over the phone. I have the tech's direct # and there is not much they can't do over the phone. They have walked me through a couple spots. All I can say about gammill so far is , if you have a problem they are there for you.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Great idea Joan L,

judylee

Page 1 of 5 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use