Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Tue, Aug 2 2011 8:45 AM

I don't know if this is a tip, or just a heads up. I was having so much trouble with cutting my strips exact. No matter how carefully I held my ruler the strips would come out slightly off. Then my sister suggested that maybe I was not holding my rotary cutter straight up and down.She was right! It was tilted slightly in which caused my strips to be slightly narrower than I wanted. Now I make sure my rotary is absolutely upright and my strips are perfect.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Judy, thanks for this tip because I have the same problem.  Now I know how to fix it.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:24 AM

Judy, WOW  I have had the same problem at times , never even thought I was holding the cutter wrong. Thanks for the heads up..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:24 AM

I've learned not to cut at night as I have a lot of trouble holding the ruler down tight, especially when cutting WOF strips.  I'm much more accurate in the morning, although I seem to have more time in the evenings.  Oh well, when I need to cut fabric, I get up in the morning and do it right away, has made all the difference in the world.

Karla, Fernley, NV

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Thanks Judy - have had the same issue.  I am wondering whether those ergonomic rotary cutters like the ones by Martinelli (?) are any easier to keep in the proper position. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,075
Cathie replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:52 PM

Marge,I have a Martelli cutter and love it. I have several other regular cutters too but the Martelli is by far the best. It feels like part of your hand.

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

Cathie:

Marge,I have a Martelli cutter and love it. I have several other regular cutters too but the Martelli is by far the best. It feels like part of your hand.

Does it use special blades or could I use the 45mm I have for my current rotary cutter?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

Cathie:

Are these similar to the True Cut My Comfort rotary cutters. I have one and kind of like it. It has a feature that it rides along the top edge of the ruler. Supposedly this keeps it from slipping. That's good, but that lip does get in the way if I want to cut backwards. It's also difficult to take apart and reload blades. I'd like to know how it compares to the Martelli.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,385
Points 360,927
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 11:36 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Does it use special blades or could I use the 45mm I have for my current rotary cutter?

Judy,

the Martelli cutters come in 45 and 60mm sizes. No special blades the regular ones work. The blades are easy to change as well. Just one screw to remove.

This cutter helps keep your wrist in proper alignment and requires less pressure to cut through your fabric. It is great for those who have arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome etc. You can still tilt the cutter and have inaccurate cuts but it's much gentler on your hands. 

Click here for the Martelli website.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 8:49 AM

Marge, I have a Martelli and I love it.  I also bought a ruler from them which has a liner on the bottom for non slip.  Between the two you can't hold and cut the fabric any other way but strait up.  A little more expensive but worth it.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,075
Cathie replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 6:35 PM

And Judy, on the one screw to change the blade, rightly tighty doesn't work, it's just the opposite. Right will loosen it and left tightens it.

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 12:20 AM

I just used my first  pinking blade for a cutter and OMG  I love it , to bad they are so expensive .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use