Top 10 Posters

Did you see the "Secret Window" quilt revieled on FB? Why . . .?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 860
Peggy Posted: Fri, Jul 29 2011 2:13 PM

If you saw the pictures       http://www.quiltmaker.com/secret_window_revealed.html

can someone explain to me why Sandy's quilt has two different looking blocks?  Is that just a personal preference, a mistake, or what?  I love the other quilt and love the colors in Sandy's but I wish someone could explain the two odd blocks to me.  Why did she feel they should be different?  Thanks from Alaska - a very traditional quilter

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 4:34 PM

I've looked and looked and I don't see two different looking blocks.  Maybe we are looking at different pictures.  There  is one on this site in the blogs.  Is that the same one you are looking at?  Are you talking about the two small green squares?  I think that is just a variation in the batiks.

Karla, Fernley, NV

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 860
Peggy replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 5:03 PM

It is mentioned that Sandi used batiks.  Her quilt is tangerine, tans, light brown in the center and a maroon/orange color in the border.  The quilt has six blocks that appear to be solid tan in the center.  Two of those six are odd.  Maybe it's just my eyes but that really jumped out at me and looked out of place in the quilt.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 7:29 PM

It looked odd when I accessed your web link, but when I went on to the post here on QCA it looked just fine to me.  I love batiks and work with them a lot, so maybe I just don't notice these things.  Anyway, I think it was a beautiful quilt.

Karla, Fernley, NV

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 7:45 PM

I think that row is just turned wrong, I am doing it with her here and when I layed mine out like the other rows it looks alright

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 860
Peggy replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 8:09 PM

After studying it for a while I could see that one set of blocks in row 3,5 & 7 were turned the wrong way.  Maybe it was intentional but my eye picked up on it instantly.  I like the pattern but I really have to have things balanced and symmetrical which makes it hard for me to like some of the newer quilt designs we are seeing these days. . . .sort of a free form or abstract look.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 7:09 AM

Getting a block turned the wrong way is an easy thing to do.  Some take a picture that helps them look at the whole to catch this before they quilt it. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,252
Points 254,004
Barbara replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 8:05 AM

If you all will check  Sandi has fixed it,  In her defense . we all make  errors from time to time .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,737
Points 419,869
gini replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:39 AM

i opened the link and i can't see any blocks turned the wrong way.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 860
Peggy replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 11:32 AM

Yep, when someone posted today that they could not see it I went back to the link and sure enough it was not visible anymore.  I was starting to think I lost my mind.   I'm getting to the age when one tends to get confused or forget things.  Yikes.  It is a very pretty quilt and my eye is so happy to see it balanced and symmetrical.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 860
Peggy replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 11:36 AM

Patti- you are so right about the use of a camera while quilting.  I do this when selection my colors for a quilt.  I lay them out in approximately the percentage that they will be used and snap a digital picture and view it on the computer.  It's amazing how often I change things after seeing it on the screen. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use