Top 10 Posters

What other hobbies do you have besides quilting?

Page 8 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 117 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 3,930

Thanks, Marie! It is still pretty rough on the outside, but the inside is looking pretty good. I have not been quilting because everything has been in storage because of the renovations. However, I did move my tools and fabrics from storage this week and I began organizing it all today. I am so excited. I can't wait to start a new project!

Gramz Quilts

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 3,930

Lol! If you saw the condition of the walls and floors when I first looked at it, you wouldn't even offer me your scraps.

But since it was in such terrible shape it was so cheap we were able to pay cash for it so I have NO mortgage payment. That alone makes it worth trying to fit everything into less than 800 square feet (including the porch!). lol

Gramz Quilts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 3,930

Roxie, I have dozens of photos of the entire process. Way too many to post here. If you would like to friend me on Facebook you can see the story in pics.

Gramz Quilts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 1,400
Leann replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 10:16 AM

Gorgeous!  Love yellow roses and have a large one in my backyard.  Unfortunately it is too cold in Colorado for blooms right now but it will have tons next summer.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 1,400
Leann replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 10:20 AM

i also love to machine embroider, crochet, read, grow violets and roses (in summer), bake and enjoy life.  Mostly enjoy creative endeavors and obsessed with quilting lately:-)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 3:04 PM

Vivian :
it is a lovely poached egg on a toasted english muffing with a beutiful piece of back bacon or ham with a yummy hollinais (sp) sauce.

Now you tell me.  I've nevered ordered it out because I can make eggs, toast, and gravy @ home.  Sounds yummy!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 3:50 PM

vivian, the best eggs benny i've ever had was in BC.  we had just gotten off a ferry somewhere close to kootenai lake, and stopped in one of those little towns.   yummy.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Ah memories of Home Ec.  I had it first when I was in 7th and 8th grade.  First thing we learned was how to "properly" make a bed.  The most fun I had in those days was turning a Mogan David wine bottle into a lamp.  Gave my finished project to my Grandmother and she loved it!  (By the way, I highly doubt whether my bed is properly made now) 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 5:30 PM

Marge (AKA Dimples):
Ah memories of Home Ec.  I had it first when I was in 7th and 8th grade.

OMG, I had forgotten having Home Ec in the 7th grade.  My Dad was a teacher and around that time he was filling in (subing) for several small communities.  I spent the last six weeks of 7th grade in a 2 room school house with 4 people in my grade.  My Dad taught everything to the 6,7,8 graders. (It only went to the 8th grade, for High School the kids were picked up at the school by bus)  Home Ec was helping the Lunch lady in the kitchen from 11am to 12:00.  All the kids, boys and girls, took turns.  We were all graded, no one failed,  (F) and most excelled (A).  We peeled, sliced or diced potatoes, apples, celery and washed greens, stired pots, and served.   When the first "seating" (about 10 kids) finnished eating, they cleared the table and did the dishes.  I think I learned more there about cooking for a large bunch (about 20 kids total)there than any where else.  Even the first graders had jobs.  They had to wash their hands and then dry and put up the 'silver ware'  Bless their hearts, they were to short to put up the dishes!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 870
Sheila H replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:40 PM

Hi everyone I'm new around here, I love to cook, read, dance, ride horses, swim and watch hubby play hockey (you'd think men would grow up after a certain age lol), spending time with my 2 grandsons, travel, wine tasting, also do cross stitching. We also volunteer at our local Pantry Cupboard for people needing help with groceries.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 1,890
Lisa replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 11:00 PM

Hi to all - let's see....many hobbies/interests that have come and gone due to health issues (I have RA).  Currently my hobbies are reading (mostly on my Nook), sewing (clothes and doll clothes for the granddaughters), watching too many shows to list (DVR queen!), and games on facebook.  I have an infusion every 6 weeks that lasts about 3 hours so I read or play Scrabble on my Nintendo DS.  My mom is very creative and I come from a family of artistic people (my dad's grandfather worked with Ravensburger - a puzzle/game company in Germany - and my grandfather was a architecual engineer) .  I learned to cross-stitch (printed) and knit by age 5, crochet at age 8, draw, sew, cook, counted cross-stitch (self taught), play the flute and piccolo, quilt (self taught)....my home-ec teachers didn't like the fact that I already knew how to put in a zipper when everyone else was doing easy projects (7th grade) and that I knew how to make a double crust pie when they were teaching the single crust pudding filled pie.  One of the teachers actually had the nerve to tell me to tell my mom to quit teaching me!  (yeah right, that would have gone over real good - I grew up when that would have gotten me a smack for being disrespectful) .  Our 3 granddaughters stay here 3 days a week and in the summer we LOVE to visit the Minnesota Zoo or swim in our pool.  I think that's about it.  Loved reading the posts and noticed most people that listed TV shows are interested in the same ones (me included ).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 11:31 PM

Hi all, I have been thinking about this for awhile now, so here it goes.  Although I love quilting, I do have several other - what seems unusual - passtimes for quilters.  My other passions are for cross-country skiing and leading a senior exercise group that focuses on balance and falls-prevention.  We are just starting our cross-country skiing season, so almost daily I am torn between my passion for quilting and my passion for XC skiing.  But it is a nice mix with the exercise and fresh air of the skiing and then the quiet time with my quilting.  The exercise group meets two mornings a week for one hour and the group's name is S.A.I.L. (for Stay Active and Independent for Life).  We have seniors in the group from 68 to 96  years old and they are all absolutely wonderful and an inspiration to me every day.  I hope I will be so active when I am in my 90's!!!  The group is quite broad in flexibility, endurance, and stability but we manage to modify the program to meet the needs of the individual.  The group was started 4 years ago and over 80% of our original group are still attending.

My other hobbies include gardening (when the snow is not covering the ground), hiking, reading, getting together once a month with a Bunko group and also a newly formed Quilting Group (the Piecemakers Quilt Group). 

I started sewing as a child attending Ladies Aid Society sewing circles with my grandmother.  I learned hand embroidery from her and her friends.  I haven't done any for years, but may take it up again one of these days.  By the time I was in the fifth grade, I wanted to learn to sew on a sewing machine, but my mother was basically a mender only so a neighbor friend helped me with my first project...a terry cloth robe.  Of course, in Junior High  I took the required Home Ec course and nothing was covered that I did not already know.  When I met my DH, I discovered that his mother was an accomplished seamstress and the manager of the Fabric Department in the Newberry's store in the Lloyd Center in Portland, Oregon.  I don't know now if I fell in love with her or her son first...LOL!     I learned so much from my DML.  She would whip out pajamas and a set of day clothes for every one of 12 grandchildren, plus clothes for 3 children and their spouses - every year for Christmas.  She also was a talented crocheter and taught me also to crochet many years ago, but I also haven't done any crocheting for years.  I am sure she is looking down on me now smiling and cheering me on with the quilting I am doing today .

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 310
Roxie5166 replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 6:17 AM

Hi Lisa,

What type of doll clothes do you make? I make clothing for most dolls, but my favorite is sewing the the 18" American Girl - type doll.  Currently working on Barbie clothes for my grand-daughter for Christmas.  Love sewing for the dolls. 

Page 8 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use