Top 10 Posters

What other hobbies do you have besides quilting?

Page 6 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 117 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:29 AM

so a folk harp is not a dulcimer?  i'll go check it out

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 1,100
Cathy J replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 3:53 PM

I been sewing all my life since they forced me to take Home Ec. I make mostly home decor now, window treatments and such. I like to crochet and finally finished a queen size bedspread I started during the snow storm in Atlanta in January. I'm just starting to quilt but I'm so excited to have the time and I have found a great quilt shop about  2 miles for the house.

Photography and card making are favorites too!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 6:59 PM

My grandmother put a scrap piece of fabric in my hand, a needle and thread when I was 5 and I have been sewing ever since....my mother put a crochet hook in my hand when I was 9 and I have been crocheting ever since.......up till I had surgery in august.  I am now trying to decide whether to pick up the hook or not again.  They call it repetitive motion.  If Im not at work typing, you would find me some crochet in my hand......

.although I do love it.....I am thinking that sitting in front of a sewing machine may be alittle easier on the wrists

.  I haven't completely given up my crochet.  Just can't do it.  Hurts too bad.which is ok because i do love my quilting! and Quilts!

Happy Quilting!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 7:42 PM

I also enjoy painting, lampworking(making glass beads), making jewelry, gardening, trying to learn guitar, reading, photography, crocheting(but not in a while), even did some bellydancing a few years ago.

But quilting is my current passion and its really taken a hold of me!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 7:59 PM

Marge, have you tried KenKen puzzles? those are addicting!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:56 PM

KATHY:
.my mother put a crochet hook in my hand when I was 9 and I have been crocheting ever since.......up till I had surgery in august.  I am now trying to decide whether to pick up the hook or not again.  They call it repetitive motion.  If Im not at work typing, you would find me some crochet in my hand......
[

My mother didn't crochet as she had chopped off the tip of her right index finger so wasn't able to do it.  I did teach her to knit when I was about 30 and she did a great job. A friend "taught" me how to crochet  when I was a young 19 year old mother back in 1957..  The only thing was each time she worked with me on it, she refused to let me hold the hook like I wanted to (tucked into my right hand instead of holding it like  pencil).  I finally bought a Learn How book and never looked back.  My largest project has been a queen sized Rose Bower crocheted bedspread - it is platinum grey with pink roses and green leaves in every other block.  Has fringe around three sides.  I used it for a short time on a bed but it has been in my cedar chest for ions and ions.  Exactly what does one do with something like this?  You can't get anything for them on eBay - haven't checked for several years but something like that going for $40 goes against the grain!  My kids all belong to the disposable society and the grandkids are worse so I really don't know what will become of it. Any suggestions?

MargeP

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 2:02 PM

I made one of those rose afghans too!  Mine was several shades of pink and green on a white background.  Had it on my bed for awhile...don't know now what I did with it.  It might be packed away some where, we've moved twice since I made it.  I don't crochet much anymore since my hands bother me, but for awhile you never saw me without crochet hook and yarn in hand. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 7:35 PM

Marge P

My mom taught me how to crochet but she could never understand how I held my hook.  She always told me it looked like Iwas diggin' taters....   I hold me wrapped in my hand too.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,362
Points 37,135
Linda replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 8:18 PM

Quilting is my first love, of course. But I also love to do historical costume, read, basic knitting, gardening, spoil grandchildren when I can see them, play with my 3 furry friends (puppies/dogs) when they visit or I visit them, getting settled in my new home....not necessarily in that order. And most of all praising God that I'm still here to enjoy all these blessings!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 8:19 PM

I also love gardening. I have a nice side wooded lots, so I have a woodland garden, with lots of Hosta, and other shade perennials. I belong to a Hosta Society and grow them from seeds, along with some annuals for my pots.

I love spending time with my grandchildren and my grandaughter, who is 9, just made her first quilt for her American Girl Doll. She is very excited about it. It great to be able to pass not just the skill, but the creativity of quilting along to her. She barely gets in the house and wants to go to the basement to sew!

Lastly I enjoy writing. I don't get to as much as I would like, now it mostly for work.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:42 PM

Nana:
My mom taught me how to crochet but she could never understand how I held my hook.

Nana - glad to hear I am not alone holding my hook the "other" way - have only seen two or three other people do it that way over all the years I have crocheted.

Marge P

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:44 PM

Marge P

I think that you are the first person that I have ever "known" that holds their hook the same way.  Always thought I was just odd.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:52 PM

Nana - looks like we are both odd! LOL  I remember how frustrated I got when the friend kept changing the way I held the hook - after two sessions, I went my own way and have been a happy camper ever since.  Just goes to show, there are always different ways to do things that end up with the same end result.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 8:54 AM

Nana, you're not odd I hold mine that way as well, less strain on my wrists.

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 12:02 PM

dardar:
I belong to a Hosta Society and grow them from seeds, along with some annuals for my pots.

Wow, that sounds like fun dardar. I have a small greenhouse and have tried growing starts from green and woody stems with some success on rhodies, hydrangeas and dogwoods but I still can't get a start from my Sensation lilac. Do you hybridize your own seeds?

I also have six granddaughters, ages 20 down to six, and have worked on quilts with three of them. The six year old was over for the weekend and decided she wants matching outfits for her and her American Girl doll for her birthday next month so that's what I'll be working on this week.

Judy E.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Page 6 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use