Page 3 of 7 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 103 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:36 PM

States still needed - the numbers keep going down....ONLY  8 complete states and 1 partial left.

Alabama                          Connecticut         Delaware 

Kentucky                         Louisiana             Montana                                

New Mexico - partial    West Virginia      Wyoming

A huge thank you goes out to everyone that has helped me out with this project.  The fabrics are coming in and they have all been very fabulous.  I can't wait to see what everybody else is sending.

Thanks so much.

Loretta

One quilting project, like one cookie, is never enough.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 11:11 PM

I used to live in Michigan they have a lot of trees and the great lakes and snow in the Upper Peninsula. As for a certain color I don't think a state really has one that I am aware of at the moment.  It's been four years almost since I lived there but I know I have purple and cat fabrics from there lol. Don't know if he would like lavendar either sigh.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 5:56 PM

Is anyone able to do South Carolina?  I had gotten a response from someone for South Carolina, but I don't think it is going to happen, so I would like to try to get someone that I know will follow through with that State.  Thanks for any help you can give me with South Carolina, or any of the other states listed above.

Loretta

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 45

What a great idea. I'd like to help. West Virginia would be my state. I've been quilting for some time now and love to shop for fabric. 

Linda L from Ona, WV

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 265

Be glad to help you with South Carolina. 

Cathy Wiggins (littlereader)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:59 PM

Loretta, can you please explain this project?  I know it is for your DH, but - you are collecting FABRIC from the states?  Is that the purposed of your quest?  I mean, the fabric here in Colorado comes from the south, not here.  And it sounds like you want fabric that is indigenous to the areas from which the blocks come, right?  How can that be, when PB Textiles (or any other manufacturer) is in a specific state?

I am sorry to be so silly, but since I saw your post I have searched all over the web, and there are bunches of "STATE BLOCK QUILTS" all over, but what it seems to boil down to are the different patterns (and there are so many!)  However, I cannot see anywhere where it calls for a specific fabric from a specific state (unless I am blind and I can't see something right under my own nose).

That being said, you must be the energizer bunny!  This is a fantastic project for you to tackle!  I hope you keep us informed as you go along, and post updates of pics.  I would love to see them!  OH - and which set of patterns are you attempting?  I mean, does Alabama have the square-in-a-square, etc? I can see where you didn't have Colorado posted, or I would offer to help with that. 

Good luck!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:36 PM

Bella,

Let me attempt to explain this so that it makes sense, I know that the fabric is not produced in each state, what I am looking for is fabric "representative" of the state that a person lives in and purchased in that state not on-line, if it is purchase on-line I could have done it.  For example - Colorado:  This block required two colors, my niece lives in Colorado, but is not a quilter or sewer, so as not to confuser her I requested regular yardage and she purchased 1/8 yard of light blue fabric and 1/8 yard of light blue fabric with Columbine Flowers on it, which is the State Flower of Colorado. 

I have told people, my first choice of fabric would be something "representative" of the state.  Second choice would be something that reminds them of the state.  Third choice, if you cannot find these two things, just pick your favorite colors, because I'm not particular picky about color in general, except absolutely NO PINK!!!  LOL.   The pattern I am doing is from a book called The United States Quilt Block Collection produced by The House of White Birches, I believe this was right at the beginning of my original post.   I will be posting pictures of blocks as I complete them, currently I am working on copying my templates from the book and then I will begin with Minnesota, as that is where I live, then I will begin working on blocks in the order that they were received and I will post pictures on this thread, along with my blog.  All of this was in my original post, I'm sorry if it didn't make sense to you at the time.

I hope this makes better sense to you now. And surprisingly this has not been such a huge project to tackle as you would think.  I started talking about it at the beginning of July and I am down to needing to find fabric for only 7 more states in full and finish up New Mexico ( someone was able to send me one fabric for New Mexico - need three).  A lot of family stepped up and was able to help, friends that I talk to regularly, high school friends that I chat with on facebook on occasion, my quilting friends online, here and I have a couple of other groups that I belong too.  My son has even chatted with his friends on his online game that he plays! That's impressive!  All in all this has been one of the funnest projects I have worked on in a long time, and with my illness, it has been something to keep my mind off the everyday battle that I am dealing with.  Watching for the mail every day to make sure my DH doesn't get to it before I do, is actually helping me health wise, because I have to be up and moving and outside because I don't want him to figure out what's going on.

You have a fantastic evening - and if you want to help out - let m know, and I will keep you on my list, I am considering doing a pieced backing, depending on how everything goes.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thank

Loretta

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:52 PM

Carey:
I used to live in Michigan they have a lot of trees and the great lakes

Carey,

Were you volunteering for Michigan? Or asking a question.  Michigan has been taken care of if you were volunteering for that state.  Where do you live now?

Loretta

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 11:22 PM

AH!  I think I got it now - and I sent you a message -

Cheers!

:D

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 11:39 PM

Loretta, I can still help if needed, I can do Wyoming .I will make every effort  to see the fabric comes form tht state ..Just let me know ..ASAP   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 1:13 AM

Barbara:
I can still help if needed, I can do Wyoming

Barbara - That would be fabulous.  I'm slowly getting there but I am so close now.  Thank you so, so much for helping me with this.

Loretta

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 1:18 AM

States still needed - the numbers keep going down....ONLY  6 complete states and 1 partial left.

Alabama                          Connecticut         Delaware 

Kentucky                         Louisiana             Montana                                

New Mexico - partial    

Almost there........Do you think we can get it done before the end of the day on Sunday???  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 1:25 AM

Loretta not a problem..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:27 AM

Loretta , I did find a shop in Wyoming so at least the main fabric will be form there , It was a very scant  inventory so I hope this will work okay..I'll send it off as soon as I recieve it ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:41 AM

Loretta, I can help you out with Alabama. I've lived in Alabama all my life, and would be happy to send you some fabric representing my home state. 

Page 3 of 7 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use