Top 10 Posters

quilting on a domestic machine

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 140
skfoster40 posted on Thu, Jul 21 2011 1:40 PM

How is the best way to quilt a full size quilt on my regular macine.  How do you manage all the quilt ( I roll on both  sides of the quilting area)?  How can you manage any kind of design other than straight line Or stippling? Thanks for your  help Sharon

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 80
Sandy replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 11:03 AM

Kneeboma, what do you mean by "stabilize the blocks first".???   are you suggesting tear away stabilizer like we do in embroidery??  or is it something else.  I am a beginner quilter and have not heard of this before.   I'm using a Bernina with a BSR stitch regulator for free motion.  I was not taught to use stabilizer.

Looking for all the tips that will help me improve.    Sandy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 11:23 AM

Sandy:
stabilize the blocks first".???  

some quilters stitch around the blocks before they start the quilting, thus stabilizing the blocks so they don't shift during quilting

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 9,200
Answered (Not Verified) Pamela replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:20 PM
Suggested by Pamela

Quilting a full size quilt on a domestic machine takes time, patience and practice. It also takes lots of space. Be sure to have a large surface area to lay out the quilt. I place my machine to the farthest right side of the table to allow room for the quilt to lie. I also place an surface behind the machine - card table, ironing board, whatever you have. This will allow you to hold the quilt top more level, so as to not cause a great deal of drag. Plan your quilting design so that you can quilt with no more than the center to the outside of the quilt rolled up to the inside of the machine. I leave the side to the left of the machine flat. I rest the bulk of the quilt in my lap and move the quilt away from me as I quilt the deisgn. The extra table provides room to rest the quilt as it is moved away from the machine. Work from the center to the outside.

I prefer to move the quilt away from me, so I start at the top and work my way to the bottom of the quilt. If this is ackward, try starting at the bottom and moving the quilt toward you. Practice stopping and starting free motion stitches, so that you can slow down and stop the quilting process, needle down, and readjust the quilt, as it will bunch up behind the machine (or in your lap depending on the direction that you move the quilt). Also adjust the quilt, pulling more up into your lap, (or pull the quilt toward the machine from the table behind if moving the quilt in the opposite direction).

Wearing some form of glove to maintain some grip on the quilt helps. I just use the fingertips of Playtex gloves on my three middle fingers of each hand and find them to be adequate. Take frequent rests, get up and move around. If you try to conquer too much quilting at once, your arms will begin tired and stiff and the quilting will become jerky and uneven.

I completed a full size top made up of 5" charms. I quilted a swirl in each 5" charm and moved across the quilt on a diagonal. This allowed me to stop at the block intersections to adjust the quilt.

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 35

I have been rolling my large quilts and having trouble. I am going to try the smoosh technique. Thanks for the idea.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
Answered (Not Verified) gini replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:52 PM
Suggested by pvance

hi cookielou, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 1,770

I've also been intimidated by doing fancier quilting than just straight lines/diagonals. I'm determined to try and do something fancier with my next quilt...so I appreciate the question and all the suggestions that have been given. :)

...and usually I roll instead of smooshing...though that does happen on occasion as well. ;)

-Genevieve

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 1:49 PM

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

go to this website, and check out her free designs and videos on how to do them.  if you sign up you get 365 days of designs and tutorials.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 1:49 PM

genevieve, the above message was for you    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
91 Posts
Points 2,460

I've been working on improving my machine quilting this year.  I think what will really help is practice, practice, practice!  Machine quilting is my weakest skill.  

Have a super day!

Jennifer Schifano Eutsler

curlicuecreations.com

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

curlicuecreations.com

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 1,770

Thanks Gini. :)

That page has now been bookmarked.

-Genevieve

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use