rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 280
Vicki Posted: Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:13 AM

Hello. :)

I'm thinking about making some table runners. I would be using a 5X7 or 8X10 fabric patch as the focal point..  Much like this one seen here...

I just can't decide on what to do on the sides of it to extend the lengeth of my table. what would you do?

would you stick with something easy like fabric strips sewn to the sides or would you go all out and do something like a checkerboard on each side?

I'm at a creative stand still.. hellllllpppppp.. :)

thanks

Vicki

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 9:52 AM

That fabric is cool.  You definitely want to highlight that block.  One idea...I would sash the sides of the block with a lighter contrasting tone-on-tone fabric (the shade of the horse maybe).  Then I would find a darker coordinating fabric and make rectangles to put on each side and then border all with the same fabric you sashed with.  If your center panel is 8 x 10, I would make the side rectangles 8 x 5.  The sashing/border should be narrow (1 1/2").  Can you see the vision in my mind?  LOL

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 8:54 PM

I think it would be cool to her idea with bright colors to liven up the quilt. As your main block is grey and white or black and white.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:34 AM

I like Jeanine's idea but add a couple blocks on either side duplicating the wheel/cogs from the center block. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:38 AM

Patti -

I thought the same thing but didn't want to over complicate it in my explanation.  But I can see that in my mind.  I think maybe even go around the entire table runner with the "cog" square and sashing square repeated and the add another row for the border. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:59 AM

to make it less complicated, the cogs could be machine appliqued.  One could do interesting designs with various fancy stitches. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 280
Vicki replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 2:44 PM

oo some great ideas here! thank you everyone. I have not decided which fabric block i want to start with but I love the cog idea so maybe that will be the first pick. :) I really want to make it special for the artist of that block Ash Evans so I think I may do the cogs in gold thread?? maybe have my grandma do hand quilting... I can't stand to do hand work lol.

My other choice to start with is a holiday one maybe Halloween? our dining room is really plain and we are trying to finish our house and sell it so we can move so I need to think of what home I'll be in for Halloween. :)

thanks so much! if anyone else has ideas please post them. I love ideas!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 3:59 PM

Patti:

to make it less complicated, the cogs could be machine appliqued.  One could do interesting designs with various fancy stitches. 

Sorry...just have to comment...  EASIER??  I avoid applique if at all possible.  <that's just me>

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 85
judi replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 5:37 PM

I'm thinking you might create appliques of the round wheels within your picture and add them to strips or blocks.  Since the colors are muted, you might consider using fabric paints.  I would love to see pictures of this table runner completed.

Good luck

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 85
judi replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 5:38 PM

looks like I should have read the other comments before writing mine.  Anyway, it appears we have similar ideas.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use