Top 10 Posters

Prairie Points

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 135
Angie3656 posted on Thu, Jul 14 2011 5:57 PM

I had my Kansas Troubles Sampler quilt machine quilted and the quilter forgot to leave space around the edge to add the prairie points. Can I still add them and use a binding on the back side? Any suggestions? Thanks!

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:04 PM

Hmm good question. I hope someone knows the answer here for you.  I haven't done any quilts that I have not quilted myself no matter how large due to funding the expense lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I have never done this so take this suggestion for what its worth...just an idea...

Can you stitch 1/2" around your quilt to lock you stitches and they take out any quilting that is in the 1/2" edge?  Then when you put your prarie points on, sew along that seam line and then be able to turn the back under 1/4" and stitch to the back of the prairie points. ??

Again...I have never done prairie points but am just thinking out loud.

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:17 PM

Hi, Angie - I think you can.  Just line up your prairie points - sort of upside down, right sides together on the front of the quilt - sew along the edge, then get a thin binding strip (actually you can stack the binding strip on top of the raw edge of the points along with the edge of the front part of the quilt, I think) and then flip the points UP, with the binding to the BACK, turn THAT raw edge over, and then just slip stitch by hand like you would when you are hemming an outfit.  The binding should be thin, like thin bias tape (but DON'T use bias tape!), and then you have them all sandwiched in..... (I think)

Good luck!  (and it won't matter that the rest of the quilt is quilted, as this is only on the edge).

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use