rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 2,555
Kate Posted: Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:16 AM

Has anybody had much luck on ETSY?

Is there another venue that offers selling opps? 

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:49 AM

A friend of mine sells jewelry on etsy. It took a while to get her first sale but she does alright.

ebay is another place to sell items. Lots of people have ebay stores. 

Sell.com (don't know much about it);

amazon.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:19 PM

I have a store on etsy and I just started listing quilts on it about a month ago. I havn't sold any yet, but I have had a few people mark them as favorites. I have only listed crib and lap sized quilts so far and all of them are less then $75. Hopfully I will sell at least one before the holidays.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005

I am new here, so please be patient. What is ETSY? I figure it is a website from the answers, but what do the letters stand for? It is hard to sell quilts. I've seen some on ebay, but most looked like they were made from very thin, poor quality material. I know how that sounds because the cost of material is quite a bit, but most people don't realize how much money goes into a quilt. We're not even talking about the time envolved. My husband keeps asking me why I don't make quilts and sell them. If I thought I could, I would try it.

I will see the answers you get and learn from your question. Thanks Bettie

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170

What else do you sell on ETSY?  I design knitted items and have been thinking of trying to sell on ETSY.  Just a beginner at quilting learning as I go on my first official scrap quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 730
Points 18,300

abcquilting@yahoo.com:

I am new here, so please be patient. What is ETSY? I figure it is a website from the answers, but what do the letters stand for? It is hard to sell quilts. I've seen some on ebay, but most looked like they were made from very thin, poor quality material. I know how that sounds because the cost of material is quite a bit, but most people don't realize how much money goes into a quilt. We're not even talking about the time envolved. My husband keeps asking me why I don't make quilts and sell them. If I thought I could, I would try it.

I will see the answers you get and learn from your question. Thanks Bettie

etsy.com   They are a venue for all kinds of handmade item.  Don't know that it stands for anything. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 9:34 AM

I'm curious about how that works, too. I keep getting asked if I sell my beads on Etsy but I haven't taken the time to learn how to set up a store, how the billing works, how much they charge, etc... I'd be very interested in hearing others' experiences with it.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 9:54 AM

I've been selling on Etsy for about 2 years now. I started out on Artfire.com, which is another really good site to sell your handmade/vintage/supply items from. Zibbet.com is by far my favorite, though. Real easy-going, but not as many artisans on there. Artfire is a little less intrusive and easier to work with. Setting up a shop on either site is VERY easy. Just go in, click on the links to become a seller, and follow the prompts. 

I do have to say this, though: I have been selling quilts on Facebook 90% better than on any of those other shops. I use local groups and a Facebook page and I connect with people in my community. I have made over a dozen quilts locally and at times it gets to where I have to turn down orders because I have so many backed up. Right now I had 9 in que and 6 of them are done. Three were from the same person. I love Etsy, because it advertises and has a lot of visitors every day. You have to work hard to sell things, though. Nothing comes easy. Self-advertising, social networking sites, and blogging are your three best venues. I know that Facebook and Twitter get a lot of negativity attached to them, but if you're looking to sell, that's the place to go - along with the Etsy site. 

There is also a really great quilting group on Etsy called Quilts!Quilts!Quilts! 

http://www.freckledots.etsy.com for a reference. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35

I signed up to sell my quilted items on Etsy.com in April.  I have sold one item, but get quite a few "likes'.  To me, it's like having your own business without the overhead of a shop.  The Etsy team seems very helpful as they post "how-to's: etc to help you along.  I find I pretty much have to keep up with my shop on a regular basis.  The rates seem reasonable to me.  I believe Etsy is very concerned with your "financial" privacy.  Hope this information helps!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170

Thank you so much for this info. I bought a camera to be able to put my handknits on some site. Never have heard of Zibbet.com before so will check that site out. I am only on my first official quilt so quilts won't be my venue for now, but have wanted to quilt for over 30 years and so elated to now have the chance. Have done a few craft shows in the past, but they aren't the best avenue anymore either. Tough economy out there, but still want to try.

I was so interested in the ipad, tablet,etc. blog as my computer is older and Facebook freezes it up so not somwhere I often go; 'yet, there are so many references to it now for everything that this computer has to be replaced with something to be able to try and sell on line or even view the quilting sites better. Not a techy so just not sure which way to go in replacing it.  I find it just  plain uncomfortable to sit at it for very long and am thinking something else might be more comfortable and convenient to use.

Granny Carol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Kate:

Has anybody had much luck on ETSY?

Is there another venue that offers selling opps? 

Kate, I have a shop on ETSY.  I have only posted one quilt.  It was a twin size which I had tried for over a year to sell locally at craft shows, etc.  Posted it and sold it withing a month for more than I tried to sell it where people could look and touch.  Go figure.

I set up with PayPal for payments and the fees are reasonable.  Not difficult to set up.

As others have responded, the rates for ETSY are reasonable.  The support teams offer great tips and there are always things which will help you to increase your sales.

I found it easy to set up my shop.  I know that I could do more to improve it but there have been many things in my life which have prevented me from dedicating time to ETSY at this time.

If you decide to pursue this, good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Kathy, I see this is your first post so I wanted to say Hi and welcome..

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,501
Points 417,379
gini replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 4:52 AM

hi kathy, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170

A few years back I did set up a store on ebay and was able to do that and sold one child's afghan. Now I am more into shawls and ponchos as easy to do as I babysit for my 2 yr. grandson daily. At least I can get a few rows done a day without losing track of the pattern. LOL But like you a few life things other than selling has kept this idea on hold and just getting back into it.

The tech stuff is what intimidates me, but I did in on ebay so think it is possible. Finding the uninterrupted time and now I have begun quilting, but the idea never goes away so it is something that I must at least try as well as a few local shows again. It is good to know there is a support team to help with int on etsy.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use