Top 10 Posters

Left-over batting pieces

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 335
Deborah posted on Mon, Jul 11 2011 8:20 PM

What do you do with your left-over hunks of batting?  Do you sew them together to use in larger quilts?  I have made many small wall-hangings and table runners/mats...  But the pile in the corner is starting to grow!!!  Also, I have made "quilt as you go" quilts, and the batting only has to be as large as the one single block, or a few sewn together, like a group of four...

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 375

You  can sew them together and use in small project or to fill in when your bigger pieces don't cover the area. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

There was another thread about this one.  Use the iron on tape to make a bigger piece was a popular idea and if the pieces were to small, make pet beds with them as stuffing. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 455

I'm trying to get good at machine quilting, and when I have pieces of batting left that are at least 6" square, I make mini 'sandwiches" to put by my machine. I bought some muslin when it was on sale or I use other scraps from quilting projects as the 'bread'. Then whenever I have the urge to quilt but don't have much time, I practice my machine quilting on the sandwich. I also use these to get warmed up before I actually start working on my quilt, which allows me to get into the rhythm and ensures my tension is set correctly without messing up the real thing.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

OH,thats a good one.  I'll be using that one., thanks

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 35
Answered (Not Verified) Ellie replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 9:59 AM
Suggested by Ellie

My husband is the quilter at our home.  He uses tape purchased from our local fabric shop.  He applies with an iron to make

larger and then uses them in baby quilts with a thinner layer of batting.  This makes the crib and baby quilts softer.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,845 Posts
Points 181,443
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 10:16 AM

Ellie, do you quilt together?  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,208 Posts
Points 253,379
Barbara replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 10:16 AM

WOW, these are just all amazing ideas, Ineed to remember some of them..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 5

My friends and I have made easy 4 patch Rag quilts with 8" and 3.5 " squares. I have also used them for table toppers and small wall hangings. I found scraps are great to leave near my machine for testing stitch length etc.  Also great for cleaning (the machine I use a piece wraped anround my finger to clean the bobbin area|). 

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 10

There is a great new product on the market (a couple of years old) that allows you to butt two pieces of batting together, place "Heat Press" tape over the seam and press and the two pieces of batting are smoothly joined.  This is much smoother and more pliable than stitching.  I see this product  at all the quilt shows and our guild had a demonstration of it one month.  I have used it several times with very good results.

Not Ranked
Male
6 Posts
Points 30
Frank replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:18 PM

I keep the bags the batting originally came packaged in, then store the leftover pieces in them.  This way you are able to keep track of the types of batting that you have when the time comes to reuse them.  You can sew the pieces back together using zig-zag stitching or try the new fusible tapes for bonding batting pieces together.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

Helo Granny.

It is a great idea to make a ball and use to clean several things.

Hanne Bruun

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 1,830

I sew the larger pieces together for another quilt and use the smaller pieces for stuffing other items I make...usually something to do with crocheting. Most recently, I used quilt batting to stuff the horns on a crocheted Viking hat that I made for my friends' son's birthday.

...oh...and my extra batting is in the original bag it was bought in and stored with my other batting in a big clear plastic storage bin that I bought for maybe $10-20 at Target. I love that it keeps it all nice and neat and in the same location.

-Genevieve

Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use