Top 10 Posters

Left-over batting pieces

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 335
Deborah posted on Mon, Jul 11 2011 8:20 PM

What do you do with your left-over hunks of batting?  Do you sew them together to use in larger quilts?  I have made many small wall-hangings and table runners/mats...  But the pile in the corner is starting to grow!!!  Also, I have made "quilt as you go" quilts, and the batting only has to be as large as the one single block, or a few sewn together, like a group of four...

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 2,280
Sherry replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 8:43 PM

I too have the same problem. I have joined like pieces together with wide zigzag stitches for larger quilts without any problems. I am starting to make mini quilts and find it is not only challenging but a lot of fun. You can also use the batting to make hot pad holders. A couple of layers works well. Just some ideas, hope they help.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
608 Posts
Points 12,765

I use a lot of my batting scraps for package filler instead of "peanuts".  My daughter in law is a quilter and she makes small pieces so I send birthday and Christmas presents cushioned with batting. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,689 Posts
Points 419,259
gini replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:02 PM

hi quilter 197, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:20 PM

I've used my batting scraps to make tote bags, checkbook wallets, credit card wallets, pot holders, place mats, table runners, etc., but still I'm being overrun with batting scraps.  Guess I'll just have to work harder and faster to get them under control.

Karla, Fernley, NV

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,819 Posts
Points 181,088
Answered (Not Verified) Marie replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:19 AM
Suggested by Ellie

PD another great tip that should go in the tip contest.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,819 Posts
Points 181,088
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:20 AM

Welcome quilter 197, enjoy the club.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,819 Posts
Points 181,088
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:22 AM

All great tips!!!!!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,800 Posts
Points 31,720
Annie replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:28 AM

I am saving my pieces to make flannel rag quilts.  It's like a quilt as you go, sewing right sides out, leaving the raw edges of the flannel exposed , then snipping them to create the rag look. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,272 Posts
Points 35,195
Suggested by Hanne Bruun

I save all mine and am finding new uses all the time.   A small piece rolled into a ball, cleans my cutting mat and will clean little threads around the sewing maching. It will pick up loose threads off the quilt I am working on.   I can use for stuffing in dog toys or cushions.  bigger pieces I and join and use in quilts. Of course the potholders as mentioned by someone else.   Also table runners   I buy my batting in rolls so there are some times long pieces that I cut of the sides of the quiltzs. I have also soaked in essential oil, let dried and used small amount in my rice bags or make little pillows for the dresser drawers.  Nothing wrong with a couple of bags of scraps of all kinds laying around.  You will find a use for them.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,819 Posts
Points 181,088
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 1:31 PM

Granny great uses for leftover scraps of batting.  I especially love the essential oil ideas, will be using that one, thank you.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Quilter197,

I do piece my larger batting pieces together using a tape that works like "Steam a Seam", this product just hit the market.  It  works really well.  I just overlap my pieces slightly, then use my ruler and rotary cut through  both layers, so they fit perfectly together and then place the fusible tape on top and iron it down. The smaller scrap go to charity projects like local  animal shelter for bedd stuffing.

Hope this helps,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:19 PM

Well I personally havent tried this I would love to try it as a quilt as you go for quilts many magazines and articles talk about using smaller scraps this way of batting.

You could also use them for stuffing for a pillow or or make a pillow with them and some fabric even ;);

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 335

I have made several quilts with the quilt as you go method.  Books by Sharon Peterson are a great help!  And... I didn't think of a pillow!

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 335
Suggested by jazs

You know... the shop where I work just got those fusible strips in.  I was wondering how they work!!  Glad to know you like them... I will have to try them now!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use