Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Hayley Posted: Sat, Jul 9 2011 10:02 PM

Hi All,

I just stumbled across this website today, and am already finding its a great resource!

I am looking to upgrade my sewing machine. I started quilting almost a year ago on a small Wal-Mart Brother. I am wanting something with at least a 9" throat space, and will eventually buy a frame to put it on. I have been looking at the Juki TL 98Q, the Janome MC 6500P, and the Janome 1600P. I looked at the Baby Lock Melody (Quilters Choice), but it doesn't have the reach I would like. I have also looked at the BL Symphony, but it is out of my price range. The Juki and Janome dealers are an hour and half a way, so I have been trying to find out as much information as I can before I go to look.

Any helpful information would be greaty appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 1:24 AM

Hayley, I just purchased a Janome MC 6500 earlier this year and I love mine. it comes with all the bells and whisltes  and I love the extension table that comes with it. Yeah it was alittle pricy but it was well worth the cost..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 9:47 AM

hi hayley, welcome to the group.    buy the best machine you can afford.  all of the models have pretty good machines.   one of the most important things i've found is having your dealer close.    seattle has a huge fair in the fall.  all of the major machine companies were there.   i went several years,  trying out all the machines in one day, until i decided on my machine,  which i love, only to move a few years later and not have a dealer close.   there are sewing expos all over the country and major quilting shows may have several machines to try.   all of these venues will have good deals on machines.   good luck  on the machine hunt

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:56 AM

Hi Hayley, welcome. You will find many good machines by different brands, at reasonable prices

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 12:23 PM

My advice, if you hope to put this on a frame, is to look for a machine with at least an 11" throat.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 1:04 PM

I have the Janome 1600P and I love it but it does only a straight stitch.  It does quilting very well.  I used to have it on a New Joy frame but now use it for piecing.  It does piecing and binding great and I have also done machine quilting on it.  If that is what you are looking for it is a good machine. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Hayley replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 1:36 PM

I appreciate all the feedback! I am leaning towards the Janome 6500, but it is a little bit more than I was wanting to spend.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use