Top 10 Posters

What is the hardest part about quilting?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 15 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 445
DIY_Mom posted on Sat, Jul 9 2011 10:56 AM

I'm getting ready to start my little window pane baby qulit. I'm new to quliting. I am thinking I'll just cut and sew blocks and strips just like anything else I do, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something. So tell me what the hardest part of quilting for you is. Also, what should I be aware of before I start? Any suggestions on best fabrics or materials to use. I don't have a fancy machine either, just an old basic Kenmore.

Thanks! I love this board. Everyone is so talented.

Lisa (Granite Bay, CA)

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

sometimes the hard part is figuring out what went wrong.  Some have problems with color choices, some with accuracy, some with finishing.  everyone seems to have their own hurdle.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

Hardest part for me is deciding on a pattern and what fabrics to use. Your Kenmore should do just fine. I love the blocks and strips quilts. They go relatively quickly and look beautiful. Fancy patterns are not required to have a gorgeous quilt. I'm a big fan of quality fabrics but use what you can afford and like. I shop in those 50% off bins at our local quilt stores. I haven't done too much on-line purchase of fabrics as I like to see them in person and spending hours in a quilt shop moving around piles of fabrics on the table is fun for me.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

The hardest part for me is picking the fabric.   I have bought some fabric online but I love to go into quilt stores and look at and feel the fabric.

Margaret

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470

Hi, Lisa, One of the hardest parts of quilting is choosing the fabric and binding. Not that i cant bind o.k. its just so boring  to me . Buy quality fabric if you can  No Walmart specials !!! It really makes a big difference in your quilt especially ones that will be washed  often.  Im glad you are enjoying all the talented people in QCA. Susan Jax, FL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675

Hi Lisa,

Buying good quality fabric is very important.  Good luck and Happy Quilting.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
843 Posts
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 3:19 PM

Hardest thing is most certainly picking the fabric.

Cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 3:37 PM

for a baby quilt  use good quality cotton or cotton flannel.   cloth comes as greige goods plain rolls of fabric,  and dyed.   there are different thread counts of greige goods, the higher the thread count, the better the quality of fabric.   the better quilt shops carry the higher quality cotton.  you can have the same or similar patterns prined on different quality of fabrics.   the poorer fabrics don't last as long and they fade faster.   one of the local quilt shops bought the same patterened fabric in several grades of greige goods.  they sewed up 4 or 5 samples about 6 inches square of each fabric, quilted  and washed them several times. over the years the cheaper fabrics have faded way worse than the better quality fabrics.   this is getting complicated to explain  they had several samples of each grade of fabric.  all were in the same color and similar patterns.  they then washed the squares.    one was washed once,  one was washed several times.   by the time they got to six washings there was a huge difference in how well they held onto the dye.  the better quality fabrics had hardly faded at all and the cheaper ones were so faded it was hard to tell they were the same as the starting fabric. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,592 Posts
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 4:07 PM

I actually find sandwiching and quilting to be the hardest.  I like to select the fabric, but I like color and I like contrast so I don't seem to have a problem with that.  I find "binding" to be the most boring, but I usually just pop a good movie into the DVD player and sit back and start the handsewing for the binding.  It can actually be relaxing as that is about the only time I watch TV at all.   Sometimes I find selecting a pattern to be a chore, especially if I'm trying to find something to use some of my "stash" on, but all in all, when the quilt is finished I don't find it hard at all :)

Karla, Fernley, NV

Not Ranked
Female
38 Posts
Points 780

Lisa,

My biggest problem is that I start too many projects at one time, and then I get overwhelmed! I'm easily overwhelmed, so I have a hard time finishing projects. But, that's just me!

Betty

Betty

Soddy Daisy, TN

Top 500 Contributor
179 Posts
Points 3,245

I think that various parts of the project are hard.  When I find fabric that I want to use for a project, sometimes I have a hard time coming up with a pattern, but it is just as hard the other way around.  But I think that the hardest part of me is deciding how I want to quilt it.  What design to use, what looks good, should I do it myself or send it to a long-arm quilter.  I agree with whoever said to buy nice fabric.  It does make a difference. I have a very very basic Bernina machine and have found that it works great since I have probably used it an hour almost everyday for the past 5 years.  Good luck.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 6:37 PM

For me, finishing a project is the hardest thing.  I get distracted, or find something new I want to do, the the UFO pile gets bigger and bigger. 

but the thing I have found to be the most important is getting a scant 1/4 inch seam.  Scant to make up for the fold when it is pressed.  Only a couple threads or so short.  Otherwise I find the pieces don't go together right.  Same thing for accuracy in cutting.  Strive for accuracy and it will all come together. 

My most favorite part is choosing the fabric.

Another problem I have is working on something too big.  I should have some smaller projects.  I would probably finish more and feel successful.

And don't give up.  Every time you sew something new, your skill will increase and you will be surprised at how fast you improve.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 425

Hi Lisa,

For me, the hardest part of quilting is having enough time. Starting and stopping a work in process can be very challenging, especially if I am working with a new design or pattern idea. Fortunately, I have a beautiful quilting area now so I don't have to keep moving my quilting from the dining room table - but I still have to leave myself notes about where I stopped, what the next step is, and making sure that everything is secure so that a fan or moving around the room doesn't 'accidently' move around quilt pieces.

D

(Twin Cities, Minnesota)

Not Ranked
Female
55 Posts
Points 805
Johnya replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 7:52 PM

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this...I really dislike the cutting process. It's boring. It's dangerous, especially with a rotary cutter and trying to keep two cats out of my sewing room at the same time. I really have to pay very close attention to what I am doing. I pretty much feel the same way about pressing the piecing. For the most part, I do everything by hand so the rest of the process is very relaxing to me. I can carry on a conversation or watch a movie so I don't have to pay as close attention.

Johnya

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:12 PM

I didn't go thru all the replies but you will want to make sure you if you mix different types of fabrics that you prewash them. If you use all the same types of fabrics ie cotton most regularly used and common and recommended by everyone you should be fine without prewashing. The worst part of quilting for me is when you realize your seam is crooked and or you missed a single area on one piece of the quilting and have to go back through it. Sometimes it is rather difficult to line up the batting , front, and backing and not have any puckering or errors. If you forego doing the actual quilting yourself you could probably avoid this but its costly to have a long arm quilter do it fyi.

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use