Difference between fabric cutting "systems"

Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 705
Points 17,570

I have the original Alto Quilt Cut and love it.  I purchased it on Ebay for $100.00.  I understand the Quilt Cut II has been greatly improved with a longer measuring ruler and more angles.  But for what I use it for, I'm very happy with the original.  I find my cuts are much more accurate and I don't know if it's the mat or what, but my rotary cutter seems to cut better on it than the Fiscars mat I have.  So, anyone looking for this system might want to check EBay and see what is available.  Although I agree with the OP that the full price for the cutting system really isn't bad. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,515

Marie:

I think my mind is made up for the Altos Quilt Cut 2, just a matter of when.  The Go is a maybe depending on weather I take to applique or not.

Marie, this one of your OLD posts (but that's OK since I'm OLD). Anyway, I'm considering the Alto Quilt cut 2. Did you ever get one? Do you like it? It will be demonstrated at Sew Expo next month but I'd like to learn more about it before then, so I don't make a hasty decision. I watched a video and it looks pretty cool, but then, those videos always make everything look so easy. I'm also keeping my eye's peeled on eBay. A couple available right now but the sellers are new so I'm not sure if I want to take a chance.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,022
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 6:10 PM

Judy,

I'm not Marie but I have had a Quilt Cut 2 for just over 10 years and I love it. The ruler attaches to the side rail to prevent slippage. I like that there's nothing more to buy with this system. It's not difficult to use.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,515

Thanks Kris. A couple other posts from last year were also happy with it. I think Brigit-Carol has one and likes it. I'm sure it won't be any cheaper at Sew Expo but at least I'll be able to see it demonstrated and even try it out.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 705
Points 17,570

zoetc49:

I tried it out at a quilt show.  It was OK, but the one I used was already getting nicked up some from usage, so I don't know how long they last.  Plus the one to cut the width of the fabric are pricey.   I love the Alto system, and now wish I'd gone ahead and sprung for the Alto II, as I understand it is easier to move the ruler and bar.  But I couldn't imagine cutting long strips without it, and it's also great for precise angles. 

Brigit-Carol

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Thank you for the info.  I was trying to do a comparison between Accuquilt  and Sizzix, which seems to be the popular die cutting machines on the internet.  I am going to research the Altos system.  Both the Accuquilt and Sizzix have their pros and cons. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,280

abcd,

thank you for the information.   It would be nice to have a fabric cutter.   I don't believe that we can afford a fabric cutting  system.  We'll have to do it by hand with scissors unless we win the lottery.  For that  we would need to purchase lottery tickets and we haven't done that in years.  We spend that money on the 6 grandchildren. 

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 283
Points 4,045

I had never heard of the Quilt Cut 2 until I saw these posts so thanks to everyone for sharing information about it.  Last night I watched the video and really liked it.   I didn't feel it was overpriced especially since you don't need to buy extra pieces like some of the other cutting systems.  Most of the blocks I make require straight cuts so I think this would work well for me.  I already told my husband what I want for Chirstmas!!  Now we'll see if I get it.  LOL

Barbara

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
I too looked up the Quilt Cut 2 and was very impressed with it. I was concerned about buying the Accuquilt and Sizzix cutting system. Both require the buyer to purchase a lot of different dies and that becomes a bit too much for my pocket book. I thought that both made cool shapes but I am new to quilting and all I am concerned with is getting my squares squared and everything in alignment. I think I will be buying the Quilt Cut 2, it is an all in one system without having to purchase many more parts in order for the system to work.
Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use