what thread to use for home-machine quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
50 Posts
Points 1,515
Francine posted on Wed, Jul 6 2011 9:05 PM

I would like to start quilting on my home-machine and was wondering what would be the best thread

Francine

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

For both piecing and free motion quilting, I use Essential thread from Connecting Threads.  It is a 50 weight extra long staple cotton thread.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 70
cmac replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:18 AM

Where can you purchase this thread, and is there a particular reason you use it?    I am also new to quilting.   cmac

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I like it because it works so well in my sewing machines, it's fairly low lint, comes in great colors, and the price is good.  It is on sale right now.

I receive their catalog at home, but they have a great web site, too.

www.connecting threads.com

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

~delete duplicate

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

I like to buy my fabric from there but I've never used their thread ,I will have to give it a try..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
41 Posts
Points 640

Now I need to ask a question abot this. I brought my quilt machine in for service due to timing issues and they told me that 50 weight thread was to heavy for quilting...  I use 50 weigt thread on many quilts and have never had an issue... I think it is the quilters prference...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980

I also use the threads from connecting threads and I haven't had any problems.  I also like the King tut brand and they have a wide variety of colors.  The Isacord is polyester but is also works very well. Less breakage and less lint.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference in the long run.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,373 Posts
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:52 PM

Sally I'm not an expert on threads but I think many here use 50 wt.  What did they suggest you use?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,728 Posts
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:44 PM

Sally Johnson:
I brought my quilt machine in for service due to timing issues and they told me that 50 weight thread was to heavy for quilting... 

Sally,

the guy at the local dealer here told me the same thing but I've had no problems with it and use it often for piecing and quilting. I've used heavier threads too. I think he was trying to get me to purchase thread from his shop.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,373 Posts
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 11:53 AM

Since I purchased my Janome 7700, Celesta, I've used nothing but Essential thread from Connecting Threads and haven't had any problems.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
41 Posts
Points 640

I agree, I have had no problem with the heavy thread and I don't think theweight has anything o do with the timing on the achine at all...

Not Ranked
Female
41 Posts
Points 640

I love my new kits I bought from connecting threads. I will definetly re-order...

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use