rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490
JennieLeigh Posted: Wed, Jul 6 2011 6:24 PM

Dear ya'll,

I'm new to this website, but I'm kinda desperate here!  I have only been quilting for a couple of years (mostly machine piece, hand-quilt).  I am currently working on a baby quilt for my friend's new baby.  It is a peony design in pink and green and white.  I had the quilt in a hoop and my 4 year old son managed to dump a half-full cup of coffee all over the top!  ARGH!  I snatched it up and washed it out in the sink, immediately.  I think I got the coffee stains out, and hung it up to dry.  I was not finished quilting it, so I didn't want to throw it in the dryer and cause the batting to draw up.  Am I doing the right thing?  I am just sick thinking of all the work I've done may all be for naught! Please, any advice would be great.  I know I'm going to have to remark it when it is finished drying, but do you think it'll be alright?

Thanks!

JennieLeigh

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Oh dear!  I am so glad the coffee didn't stain your quilt.  I'm too new a quilter to be much help as far as your question though. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Wed, Jul 6 2011 6:32 PM

hi jennieleigh,   welcome.   what a disaster.  if the stains came out, that's great.   if you didn't prewash your fabrics or batting, it will probably shrink a little.  while it is wet, you can block it.  and it should be fine

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490

It is still wet and hanging over my shower rod. :(  Most of the stains came out, but not all.  Oddly enough, the white fabric is not stained, just the GREEN fabric.  I may have to undo the 4 blocks I've already quilted, un-baste it, replace the 2 green blocks that are stained, and then start all over.  If I didn't love my son so much, he'd be in sooooo much trouble.  I'm actually more upset at myself for forgetting my coffee cup on the end table where he could reach it and knock it over.   Is there any product out there I might try to treat the areas with instead?

JennieLeigh

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490

Woo-hoo! Resolve Carpet Spray is wonderful!  Stuck my hand between the top and the batting and treated the worst areas w/ Resolve.  Took several tries, but got most of it out!  Yay!!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jul 6 2011 10:03 PM

I am so glad you got it out.  It sounds absolutely beautiful   I love peonies and have some that are divisions off my grandmother's plants, going back over a hundred years.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:45 PM

Hello JennieLeigh (beautiful name),

Welcome to the group. I'm glad you were able to solve your stain problem. I hope you will share the finished product with us.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490

If I ever figure out how to upload photos....YES! :)  And thank you for the compliment on my name.  The quilt is almost completely dry, the batting didn't draw up much at all and I think I should be able to start quilting on it again by this evening.  I just have to mark it again where the chalk washed out.  I overestimated the size for a crib quilt, though.  It's 57" X 68"!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490

Patti--

My new avatar is one of the peonies from my quilt.  My best friend gave me a book my Marsha McCloskey years ago and that is how I started quilting.  This is only the 3rd quilt I've ever made, but I think I did a pretty good job on the peonies.  They are basically an incomplete LeMoyne Star with applique stems and leaves. :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490

Gini--

Ummm....what do you mean by "block it"?  I'm so new to this, I don't know all the jargon. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:28 AM

you pin it to a surface, while it is wet.   you can use a bedspread on the top of a bed.  you can square up a  quilt this way, i thought it might work to keep it from shrinking.   the batt and fabric shrink at different   rates, or they might not shrink at all.  depends on what you're using and whether they've been pre-shrunk.    

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,490

Ahh....that makes sense.  I hung it over the shower rod and it doesn't seem to have shrunk any at all.  I think it's almost dry, so I'm going to try to rebaste it all together.  This time, I will enforce the rule (even on myself)--NO eating or drinking in the living room (where I typically do my quilting).  I'll get the hang of this someday, right?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:34 AM

JL one could only try.  lol

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 540
Susan329 replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:53 AM

Hi JennieLeigh!

If your profile photo is the quilt we're talking about, it's gorgeous!!!  Keeping it out of the dryer was a good idea.  Blocking it is a good plan too. It won't all be for naught.  It's a lovely quilt and I'm sure your friend and her baby are going to love it!   If the stains are still obvious after it dries, here are some options

1. Add some last minute applique/embroidery/quilting.  Quilt or embroider a loopy line around all of the stains and add a dragonfly or butterfly at the end.  Both can draw attention away from accidents.
  2. Tea Staining -  Someone in a quilt class I attended shared their Starbucks with my Nona quilt.  I ended up tea staining the whole quilt when it was finished.  It hid the stains and gave the quilt a vintage look.  It wasn't the look I wanted when I started the guilt but I ended up loving the result.

Keep us posted!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,787
Points 12,965
I love the new Resolve (formerly Spray n Wash) - it works wonders; especially when your husband leaves chap stick in his pocket to be washed and dried!!

Oregon

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use