Memories Quilt

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,534
Points 31,195
Diana Posted: Tue, Jul 5 2011 6:42 AM

While I was up north in upstate NY. I went to see a friend quilter.  She was giving a talk the next night at the local historical society.  I went to hear her and see her quilts that I had not seen.  One was a quilt that is her own personal Memory Quilt.  It was an I-Spy and had each block a different memory of her life.  A piano because her mother and her were players and teachers of piano.  Baseball and football fabrics for her sons activities.  Toe shoes for her granddaughter who takes ballet.  One with a tornado(wizard of oz fabric) for the day in 1989 when the roof was taken off their 225 year old home from a tornado.  A pic of a woman making sandwiches (she raised 7 children). Each pic was a different pic of a particular memory in her life.  She's an amazing quilter and has been a judge for the local shows as well.  She is in the Catskill Quilters Hall of Fame.  It was such a great quilt and an even greater idea.  Just thought I'd pass it on.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 230
Joanne replied on Tue, Jul 5 2011 6:46 AM

Wow, what a wonderful keepsake for family members!  Thanks for sharing.

Joanne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,814
Points 181,033
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 5 2011 8:58 AM

Diana, sounds like a wonderful quilt, happy you got to see your friend and her quilts.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jul 5 2011 6:16 PM

I love this idea.  I love memory quilts.  I started a business about 12 years ago called Granny's Memory and it was for memory quilts (the business didn't take off...I decided to get a divorce instead.)  I've always been drawn to them, though.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Sounds like a wonderful idea for a memory quilt Diana.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,814
Points 181,033
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 5 2011 9:26 PM

Jeanine:
the business didn't take off...I decided to get a divorce instead

Jeanine, that statement took me by surprise so I'm  ROFLOL!  Sorry it just struck me funny! 

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,707
Points 379,642
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:50 PM

Diana,

this sounds wonderful. I was reading a story recently (on someone's blog) about a lady who made a memory quilt for her grandson using things from his life. He was given the quilt when he turned 21. He could look at it and see events from his childhood. Wish I had something like that.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:43 PM

Marie:

Jeanine:
the business didn't take off...I decided to get a divorce instead

Jeanine, that statement took me by surprise so I'm  ROFLOL!  Sorry it just struck me funny! 

I can laugh about it, too, ...  now.  :-)  I think the business would have actually made it if I could have concentrated on it, though!  But, no regrets... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,814
Points 181,033
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 7:28 AM

Kris we are such a throw away society that I didn't get to make one for my GD.  Everything has to be thrown out for space and need and usefulness. 

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,814
Points 181,033
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 7:31 AM

Jeanine:
I can laugh about it, too,

I'm glad you can Jeanine and regrets are a waste of time and energy.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use