Top 10 Posters

Sizing

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
142 Posts
Points 2,710
Cheri posted on Mon, Jul 4 2011 12:11 AM

Hello all,

I am making a quilt that needs to be queen size. My blocks were supposed to be 12 x 12 but ended up being 11 1/4 x 11 1/4. Can you please tell me how many blocks I will need and how do I figure it out in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Cheri

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,587 Posts
Points 75,910
Answered (Not Verified) Karla replied on Mon, Jul 4 2011 1:52 AM
Suggested by sewbusyquilting

I have that problem all of the time and I think I'm being so careful with my scant 1/4" seam, but it seems that I lose a lot when I square up the blocks.  I just add an additional border if I'm a little short and sometimes an addtional row if I'm a lot short.  Maybe some of the pros out there have some better ideas, but I just throw the top across my queen-sized bed and continue until it is the size I want.

Karla, Fernley, NV

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,090

I have that same problem sometimes, it depends on the block I'm working on. What kind of block are you using?

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

Not Ranked
Female
27 Posts
Points 330

That's what I would do!

Eileen

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
41 Posts
Points 300
Lola M replied on Mon, Jul 4 2011 11:27 AM

Hello Cheri,

A finished queen size quilt should measure Approx. 84 x 92 inches.   Divide block size by 84 in. = 8 blocks ( rounded ).  Divide block size by 92 in = 9 blocks.  8 x 9 = 72 blocks needed for quilt top.

It you are adding sashing and border you must adjust.  Lets say you are adding 2 inch sashing and a 5 inch border.  Adjust blocks across to 6.  6 x 10.75 " ( block minus seem allowance)  = 64.5",  add 2" sashing between blocks ( 2 x 5 = 10"), then add 5" border ( 5 x 2 = 10).  64.5 + 10 + 10 = 84.5" across. 

Now change number of blocks down to 7 ( 7 x 10.5 = 73.5"), add sashing (6x2=12), add border (5x2=10), add together and you get 95.5" long.

6x7=42 blocks. You will end up with an 84.4"x95.5" finished top.

I do not know an eisier way to figure this, but you can just add a little to your border if you are planning to put one on your quilt anyway.  Piece your quilt with the block you have then when it is time to add your border measure your quilt to and just add the number of inches you still need divide by two and add that much to each side of your border.

I hope this helps you.

Not Ranked
Female
51 Posts
Points 555

Hi Cheri, I have been reading the posts, Lola is right.  But is what i would do to make it easier, is add a sashing in between your blocks.  Only need an inch.  So cut 1 1/2 inch fabric strips.  Next time you make a quilt with block, make one block and measure first.  Then go accordingly.  You can always make extra block and make an extra row on your quilt.

Good luck, Show us when you are finished, I would love to see.

Jane

Jane Capriotti

Top 500 Contributor
Female
142 Posts
Points 2,710
Cheri replied on Mon, Jul 4 2011 3:53 PM

i am making the "Filmstrip" block from the Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Vol. 3

Cheri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I was making a quilt for my DIL and son and no matter how I tried, I couln't get the blocks big enough to square to 12  inches.  Then I had a good look at the pattern and the measurments are off. the biggest I could get at the best would be 11 1/2 inches.  check the pattern and make a sample.  when you have been sewing for a while, you'll be able to make your own memory quilt of blocks past.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use