Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 155
Judy Posted: Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:19 PM

I am making each of my grandchildren a quilt - queen size.  I have two done and my next grandson (age 14) is a great piano player.

He wants me to make a quilt with a large square in the center of a baby grand piano.

Any have a pattern for one of these?  Any suggestions how I should make it?  Also the rest of the quilt?  I know there are a lot of fabrics with musical notes, key boards, etc. which I plan to incorporate.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:25 PM

First of all, welcome to the QCA forums, Judy.

As for the center block, you might do an iron-on applique in silhouette. You can search for something like a coloring pattern online. I've seen lots of music fabric, too. You might look for a block name that represents music. For the border, I'd do the piano keys border. I think that would be neat.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,334
Points 241,792
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:27 PM

Judy, How large a square you are talking about - you could do a picture of the baby grand and applique it in place - there are ways to take print pictures and assemble them from 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 "  fabric ... I think I saw it in my optical illusions book for quilting.. either that one of my photo book - it isn't that hard to do...

there are tons of materials out there right now with music on them - there is a new fabric coming out next month from P& B with cats using musical instruments that is real cute... plus the coordinating frabric are nice without the cats.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Judy and welcome to QCA.

Looks like you have been given some good suggestions already.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 11:34 PM

Hello Judy,

welcome to the group.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I like the idea of doing an appliqué of the piano.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 155
Judy replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:58 AM

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  I had pretty well figured out to find a picture to enlarge an applique.

Challenging - but hopefully it will come out alright.   I plan to start on this quilt after first of year.  Then I will only have 3 more quilts after that to make for the last 3 grandchildren. :)  My quiver is full!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,532
Points 138,998
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:11 AM

Hi Judy, Welcome. Glad you were able to find a picture to use in your quilt. Be sure to post it when you're finished. We love to see pic's of everyones quilts. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi and Welcome to QCA Judy...I hope that one of us can find a solution for your quilt.  There are lots of ideas on here.  You could take a photo and transer it to fabric for the centre square...I like the silohette (sp) idea too.  You can music fabric too...piano keys and musical notes etc.

Good luck!! and please let us know what you decide we are all very curious here and love to see pictures

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Welcome Judy--

Looking forward to seeing the baby grand piano quilt for your grandson and any and all other quilts you'd care to show.  As has already been said, "we like pictures"

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:56 PM

Hi Judy and welcome to QCA.  I like the appliqued silhouette idea.  Whatever you decide to do, we'd love to see it and the quilts you've made for your other grands as well.  Glad to have you with us.

Southwest Florida

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 122
Points 2,583

Hi Judy,

I have a pattern for a grand piano quilt inThe McCalls Quilting magazine  from Feb, 2005.  I am trying to complete it for my husband's music room.  He plays clarinet, so for the back I am appliquing a silhouette of him playing his clarinet and have it double as the label.   I think Andover fabrics puts out fabric with keyboards as the theme.   The pattern I am following used "Beautiful Music" fabrics designed by Gail Kessler. 

Good luck with your project; I know your grandson will treasure your quilt to him.

Happy quilting,

sqweakyquilter

Alice, Roanoke, VA

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use