Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 5:20 PM

My problem is always the ruler slipping. I have tried the sand paper dots and the little rubber dots - did not like either,  Never tried the Invisagrip but thought it was pricey when I looked at it. I have several Quilt in a Day rulers that I picked up at a guild UFO auction and they are as slick as can be. My favorite ruler is a Olfa Frosted Non slip ruler. 

However, I took a class at the Machine Quilters Expo in Providence with Dusty Farrrel a while back. This is what he used - old fashion Rubber Cement. He used it on his cutting rulers and his longarm rulers. Since then I have learned that Rubber Cement is not readily available everywhere - but here in the Stated it is a staple for kids crafts and projects.

All you do it put your ruler face down on the table and apply a light coating on rubber cement on the back - allow to dry. It stays on a long time and when it gets crummy looking - just peel it off and reapply. I can assure you that the ruler will not slip at all. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,859
Points 32,260
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 5:47 PM

The shelf paper grippy stuff really works too...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 9:51 PM

I'll have to try that sometime Elsie Mae.  Thanks for the tip.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 340
DianaJK replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 5:21 PM

Instead of sandpaper dots, I cut little strips of sandpaper from a sheet and use double sided tape to hold it on the ruler.  The strips have a larger "footprint" on the ruler and seem to hold better.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 810
Deena replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 12:24 PM

For large cutting (WOF) I bought a dry wall ruler which is 60" and some clamps from Home Depot. I clamp the ends of the ruler and cut.  I also use one clamp for smaller rulers just to hold it in place. 

This works really well for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 12:43 PM

if you can position your table low enough.   you can be over your ruler with better downward pressure, it's the pressure at an angle that causes most of the slipping. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 810
Deena replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 1:08 PM

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use