Quilt pattern using antique handkerchiefs

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
bhhubl@msn.com Posted: Tue, Sep 29 2009 6:42 PM

I have about 50-70 antique handkerchiefs/hankies that belonged to my Mother, Grandmother and Aunt and I would LOVE to make a quilt with them.  I have seen a basic pattern for handkerchief quilts, but it required cutting the handkerchiefs - I COULD NEVER DO THAT!  Any ideas/suggestions?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 7:39 PM

They can be folded into the shape of a butterfly and appliqued to a block--I can give you more details if you are interested----right now I'm supposed to be writing a sermon for Wednesday evening worship (was asked to lead worship today), so I should get back to it.  Just let me know if the butterfly idea sounds like what you might want to try.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi bhhubl and welcome to QCA.  Sorry I don't have a suggestion. If you don't want to cut them maybe a wallhanging would be a good way to use them.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Pat and welcome to QCA.  I would love to se a picture of your butterfly block, maybe you could share it here. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:01 PM

Hello bhhubl,

welcome to the club. How big are they? Maybe you could sew them together with sashing or make blocks the same size as the hankies and alternate them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:12 AM

Welcome to the QCA forums, bhhubl! I like Pat's suggestion of the butterflies. Another thing you might consider is just basting or stitching them with a blind hem stitch to a block of fabric. You could then, as Kris said, make patchwork blocks or just plain squares for blocks in between.

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 355
KATHYC-3 replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 7:34 AM

I would love to find out about the folding hankie pattern...I also have many old hankies and hated the thought of cutting them

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 8:46 AM

I have some old handkerchiefs of my mother and grandmother as well.  Many of the old handkerchiefs were very delicate and had tatted or crocheted edges.  I like the ideas of the folded butterflys or placing them on top of another fabric to make a block.  I have mental plans to make a crazy quilt wall hanging with fabric printed old pictures of my mother and grandmother, tatting as my grandma used to tat, printed excerpts of my grandfathers love letters to her, and now want to incorporate some of those old handerchiefs as well.  And of course, lots of velvet scraps and beading and embroidery. 

Patti

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 9:14 AM

Patti, that sounds gorgeous.  You can also take hankies and fold them into victorian style fans and applique to blocks.  Have  fun ladies.                                                                                                                     Nancy

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Patti--

Your mental plans sound so lovely--now it's just a matter of getting the idea to your fingers, right?  It is sure to be a thing of beauty that will have all of us oohing and ahhing.

Kissimmee, FL

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use