Free Motion Quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 330
Cassie posted on Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:57 PM

I was looking at some of the beautiful quilts in the gallery, and I was wondering how to get the machine stitching so there is that little space between the stitches. Mine all seem to run together.

Cassie

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 330
Cassie replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:28 AM

I'm guessing that either this was a stupid question, or no one knows what in the world I'm talking about.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,917 Posts
Points 124,925

Cassie:

I was looking at some of the beautiful quilts in the gallery, and I was wondering how to get the machine stitching so there is that little space between the stitches. Mine all seem to run together.

Cassie

Cassie

Some quilts are hand quilted. Those would have tiny spaces between the stitching. I don't believe you can get that with machine quilting. Is that what you are referring to? There are also quilts with very intricate quilting designs with even stitching, but without "spaces". I would guess that most of those are done on a long arm machine. My quilting is done on a standard machine and the stitches are all over the place in length and design.

Does this help?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Male
12 Posts
Points 135
David replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 10:48 AM

There is a machine called sashiko that will do spaces between stiches.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Your absolutely right, David, I had forgotten about it. It looks like a hand quilt and is beautiful.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:02 AM

Never heard of this before, can you give us some more details?

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,681 Posts
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:26 AM

Sorry Cassie, I truly didn't know until I read Judy's answer.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

It is a sewing machine that does only one stich (as I understand it) and it looks like a hand stich.  If you google it, it will be clearer.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 4:37 PM

Cassie--

I have a stitch on my Bernina 440QE (#44) that will give a hand-quilted look.   Monofilament thread is the upper thread and the bobbin thread matches the fabric.  Upper tension is increased and that makes the bobbin thread pull to the right side of the quilt.  One stitch is visible (bobbin thread) and one stitch is invisible (monofilament).  The monofilament stitch makes it look like there are spaces between the stitches made by the bobbin thread.  I have not tried this (just reading it in the manual).  Maybe if you play around with your stitches on your machine you might be able to get the look of hand quilting!

Pat-"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 330
Cassie replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 4:44 PM

Thanks everyone (oh, and I hope no one took my 2nd post as offensive, after I reread it .... I sounded kind of snotty, but I didn't mean it that way at all)!

Pat, I will have to try playing with my machine. Oh, and I have heard of that other machine, but I can't see paying that kind of money for 1 stitch (at least not anytime in the near future).  Judy, that makes me feel better :) Even with all the practice I just had on the panel I completed yesterday my stitches are still all wacky. :) Though I have managed to smooth out the sewing quite a bit I don't know if my stitches will ever be even enough to be considered good. Oh well, I guess no one will be able to look that closely at any of my quilting LOL

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 5:29 PM

Cassie--

Your stitches will get better!  Watch Patsy Thompson's videos (patsythompsondesigns.com) and try to relax and follow along--she's been a real help to me!  I know you have heard it a million times, but it's true--practice, practice, practice.

Pat-"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use