Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 810
Kay Posted: Mon, Jun 20 2011 10:27 AM

Hi - I'm going with to this conference with my husband this weekend.  I'm wondering if any of the other QCofA members might be attending with a spouse?  They are supposed to have a room where spouses can work on craft projects and have sewing machines set up.  I've drug my husband to lots of quilt shops and shows so this time we are going to something for his hobby - wood turning.  I thought it might be fun to meet some other members in person if they were going to be hanging out in the craft room. - Kay

Rock Chalk Jayhawks and Hook'em Horns!

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:44 PM

Well, that's awfully nice of them to set up a craft room for spouses.  My husband is a woodworker, but not a turner, so no, we won't be there.  There are a lot of nice quilt shops around the Twin Cities.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 810
Kay replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 12:12 PM

Hi Nancy - I didn't make it out of the downtown St. Paul area and all the quilts shops seemed to be in the suburbs.  Thought we lived in a big city for many years, our ability to put up with crazy city drivers has decreased since moving to Iowa!  We parked the car at the hotel and walked to the convention a few blocks away.  The craft area for the spouse's (most were women) was great!  I met women from all over the country.  Most of them did some kind of quilting.  One lady from Ames, IA was doing beautiful reverse applique.  I marveled at her ability to make the tiny stitches.  The convention brought in a long arm quilter from the Twin Cities area who told about what we should do to get our tops ready to take to be quilted, so they can do the best job possible.  At the end of her talk, she did a Show and Tell with quilts she has made or quilted for customers.  What fun to see but not something I want to do myself.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks and Hook'em Horns!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 3:48 PM

Sounds great, Kay!  Did you and the other quilters have your sewing machines along or was it all hand sewing?  I wonder if your observation isn't true of most big cities - that the quilt shops are in the suburbs.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use