Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,712
Points 248,422
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 9:28 PM

Anita - that is so true - your seams won't show as much- I found that it doesn't really matter when you put a quilt up in a window and light is shining through from the back - I just make sure the whole seam is pressed the same direction...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 355
KATHYC-3 replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 7:46 AM

The schools of thought on pressing the seams seem to go in phases....once I was told to ALWAYS press to the side to make the seams stronger and  open seams were a no-no...but since I have a plaque on my wall that says if you obey all the rules you'll miss all the fun I didn't listen...I actually found some directions in a 1939 quilting book that belonged to my grandmother than said to press seams open....lately I've been seeing info about how it is a choice. A long arm quilting friend of mine suggested that it is ok except when you want to quilt in the ditch...I press open quite a bit...it does help with bulky point matches....so the bottom line is whatever works for you.  (The idea that pressing to one side makes the seams stronger didn't seem logical to me..when we sew dresses we press the seams open and those seams get a lot of pulls and tugs!)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hey why are you guys picking on me??? LOL...yep the curtains are finished...need hubby to help hang them as they are automated...he has to complicate things.

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 8:55 AM

On the time thing.  I have noticed that the posts are often dated for a day in the future that isn't here yet.  Like I will see posts for Oct 1 this afternoon, and even accounting for time zones it is too far off, and I know you guys aren't posting from the middle of the Atlantic or Europe.  As I write, it is 7:00 am here, Pacific day light savings time.  But that isn't what the post will say. 

Patti

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Patti, I think in your profile there is a spot to edit your time zone.  NOt sure why yours is so far off tho....mine is the right time.

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Patti,

Helen is correct, go to My Profile - this will take you to your page - click on Edit Profile in the box that says Welcome Patti - select the Site Options tab and scroll down to Time Zones and select your timezone. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and save and you should be good to go.

Helen, you are probably in the same time zone as QCA and I'm sure they have the default timezone set to theirs, so you did not have to change yours.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,712
Points 248,422
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 11:58 AM

I had to change my clock to match QCA's it is actually off by about 5 minutes... not sure why - but that is the case here - I noticed it when i was posting on Quiltoholics thread and was trying to post at exactly 5 pm... the television program would change on the hour and I would post and the time on the post would be 4:55 - so I just changed my clocks to match QCA but my time zone...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,635
Laura Lee replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:18 PM

Can I jump in?

First - time zone.  I think it's Grenwich time.

Second I have really enjoyed all the posts on seams and scant vs. qtr. inch.  Just want to say I try to make sure that my block comes out exact, and I too can only achieve this with scant qtr. inch seams.  As Spud G'ma says for some quilts it doesn't matter what your seam is as long as you are consistant, but  I have another consideration to add.  If you think you will EVER in you quilting career join a block exchange or round robin yourreally do want to learn to sew acurately.  There is nothing more frustrating than getting back a stack of blocks and having them be all different sizes - some more than an inch off.

Yours in Stitches, Laura Lee McCall Idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Laura Lee:

Can I jump in?

Absolutely Laura Lee, jump in anytime!  Hows the weather up your way, probably way colder than here. I think winter is on its way.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,635
Laura Lee replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:41 PM

Actually, Spud g'ma, I'm just down the road from you in Boise this week.  DH is doing the Dr. thing before we head south.  We keep a 5th wheel here to use as an apartment, so I just brought along fabric to whack up for a Jackie Robinson quilt that I want to make next summer when we get back from AZ.  Feels good to be a little ahead on that one since I've had the fabric for 2 years!

Yours in Stitches, Laura Lee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Laura Lee:

Actually, Spud g'ma, I'm just down the road from you in Boise this week.  DH is doing the Dr. thing before we head south.  We keep a 5th wheel here to use as an apartment, so I just brought along fabric to whack up for a Jackie Robinson quilt that I want to make next summer when we get back from AZ.  Feels good to be a little ahead on that one since I've had the fabric for 2 years!

On your way to Arizona?  Too bad we could not have gotten together for coffee and a visit, I would love to meet you.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,635
Laura Lee replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 1:04 PM

That would be great!  Let's aim for spring.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70

Hello Everyone!! i am totally addicted to this site and i just found it! =)

Wont be getting much sleep tonight getting caught up!! 

thanks to everyone for the great posts

Suddenlink Communications offers savings through bundles of TV, Internet, and phone services..

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Laura Lee:

That would be great!  Let's aim for spring.

That would be fun, we will keep in touch. Have a great time down south.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Suddenlink Communications:

Hello Everyone!! i am totally addicted to this site and i just found it! =)

Hi and welcome to QCA. It may take you more than one night to get caught up LOL

What kind of quilting do you do? There are so many types and levels of quilters her, I'm sure you will love it.

Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use