Top 10 Posters

How Would One Change The Size of a Quilt Pattern

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 930
MaryLouise55 posted on Tue, Jun 14 2011 7:46 PM

I have a pattern that is for a Queen-size bed quilt that I need to make larger to fit a king-size bed. What do I need to do in order to make  this pattern larger?

Thanks,

MaryLouise

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,503 Posts
Points 50,705
Ginny replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 8:15 PM

I agree with QuiltDaddy,  the simplest way is to make borders as he suggested.  I enlarged a throw size quilt into a full sized one in a similar manner.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Sometimes you can add rows as well. I have done that with some quilts.  The border will have to be proportionate so you may have to make it a tad larger. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Points 2,005

I am always making my quilts bigger so I may add rows, borders, columns. With Borders remember you want the bottom off the foot of the bed. Unless you want to put your pillows under the quilt, leave a top border off. Did that make any sense? I use a design wall to figure out what I am trying to say.

Bettie

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 6:38 PM

Mary Louise

Depending on the quilt pattern I add more blocks and make more rows.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 185

If you do not have too many different sized pieces, you could try to increase each piece.  Multiples of 2 work best ie., if the piece is cut 2" by 4" increase by doubling, making it 4" by 8".  I've decreased an stack-n-whack pattern by using 1/2 the measurements, creating a wall hanging to match a queen size quilt.  I think it work in reverse.  Good luck!  Borders also work well.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use