Top 10 Posters

Quilting a panel quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Sun, May 29 2011 3:56 PM

I am making a baby quilt for my daughter's friend.  She bought a quilt kit which turns out be a panel quilt with very little piecing.  I would like to spruce it up a bit with more detailed quilting but not sure what to do.  Any suggestions? The quilting on the pattern calls for vertical stitching about 1" apart.  Is that enough??

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

Annie if you put the sleeve on before you sandwich, you will be quilting it closed.  After quilting, I make a sleeve the size I want then hide the seam side in the binding. Then when I hand stitch the binding on the back I stitch through the sleeve for extra hold.  I whip stitch the bottom edge of the sleeve to the back of the quilt.  When I put a hanging rod through the sleeve it stays nice and straight and is actually hidden behind the quilt. 

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 10:51 PM

Sheri, if you are a member of The Quilt Show you can access her teaching videos there. I will see if I can make one up and post a picture in the next day or two.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Jun 2 2011 5:55 PM

Sue, Great idea

Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Points 2,005

The quilting may be enough, but you can add detailing by using motion in the quilting. In the sun add some rays going out and maybe a cloud or two in the sky. The border could use some swirls to bring it to life. If you want to add more detail meaning adding more to the quilt itself, how about a small frame around the panel and then a row of pinwheels above and below with solid borders on side.  Then you can add the large border.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 9:53 AM

Thank you all for all your tips here is what I finally did with this quilt, in case you can't se the details.  Instead of quilting vertical lines 1 inch apart as the instructions called for, I stitched around every bird, flower, etc, using various types of stitching with matching thread colors.  I then quilted a swirly pattern in the grass area and stippled the border.  I also created trunk lines using brown thread.  I am very happy with it and hope my daughter's friend likes it too, her baby is due in a few weeks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,253 Posts
Points 173,028
Marie replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 10:11 AM

Very pretty Annie.  I'm sure your daughter's friend will love it.  You should post it in your gallery and show and tell.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 10:14 AM

Thanks,  I was just able to rotate it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,706 Posts
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 9:19 AM

Annie

I think your quilting is perfect.  I feel sure the reciever will love it.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

This is so cute. I like to make one, but I like to add a cartoon characters on it. Tweety perhaps.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,253 Posts
Points 173,028
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 9:58 AM

Michael, Tweety is my favorite cartoon character, that would be so cute!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 9:51 PM

That really turned out adorable! Great job, and a wonderful gift.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use