Top 10 Posters

Quilting a panel quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Sun, May 29 2011 3:56 PM

I am making a baby quilt for my daughter's friend.  She bought a quilt kit which turns out be a panel quilt with very little piecing.  I would like to spruce it up a bit with more detailed quilting but not sure what to do.  Any suggestions? The quilting on the pattern calls for vertical stitching about 1" apart.  Is that enough??

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,894
gini replied on Sun, May 29 2011 11:28 PM

annie, see the little swirls inthe grass,   this would be darling with those as the quilting

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Answered (Not Verified) Laura replied on Mon, May 30 2011 12:43 AM
Suggested by Bianca

I think I'd be quilting (thread painting) around the flowers in different colors and inside the petals to give it some more texture, plus doing the grass like Gini said, and then do the sky with big puffy clouds, I'd skip the quilting in 1" vertical lines, and decorate it. You could echo the flowers and the birds too.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Annie,

Your batting dictates how closely you must quilt.  Listed on the packaging should be a maximum distance.  You may quilt closer that the listing but not further than the recommendation for best results.  I always quilt closer especially for a high use quilt, plus I am an artist and enjoy playing with my designs.

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, May 30 2011 9:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions....I can't wait to beignet his quilt.  I have been putting it off because I was unsure how to finish it.  Love the echoing and cloud ideas.  Thank you'll. will post it after it's done.

Does anyone have a quick way to add a sleeve int he back to hang it??? I imagine it's not more complicated than adding it to the backing before the sandwich?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,894
gini replied on Mon, May 30 2011 10:22 AM

quilting and binding, sometimes aren't as straight as i would like, and i square up the quilt before binding. .  if i added a sleeve to the back before sandwiching,  it wouldn't be straight and my quilt would hang funny.   i have heard of adding the sleeve with the binding    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, May 30 2011 11:20 AM

Good point.  I guess I could add it to the binding and then tack it down below it so it wont show as it hangs. Thanks, makes more sense that way.

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Mon, May 30 2011 11:40 PM

I got a great tip from Sharon Pederson on a quilt sleeve, so that your quilt lays flat against the wall and not have a bulge where the pole goes through at the top. Fold your sleeve in half, with the raw edges together at the top, then move the upper piece down 1/2 inch. Press this well, especially at the fold. Then flip the sleeve over so that the shorter piece is against the quilt back. bring the raw edges together at the top of the quilt, and encase the sleeve raw edges into your binding. Once the binding is complete, push the sleeve fabric up so the fold crease is laying flat on the quilt, and tack it down along the fold, you will now have a 'bulge' on the back half of the sleeve. Once you put your pole into the sleeve, the bulge will accomodate the pole and the quilt will lay flat against the wall. Hope this makes sense.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, May 31 2011 7:31 AM

Thanks Laura,

I think I can follow that.  So the offset crease, which is tacked down, allows for the rod to sit in its pocket?  Am I seeing that correctly?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, May 31 2011 7:32 AM

Just thought it through again, makes perfect sense!!!!!

Thanks, can't wait to try it

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200
Sherry replied on Tue, May 31 2011 7:59 AM

think i need a picture

Top 200 Contributor
Female
329 Posts
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:30 AM

Laura thank you very nice video she does.

Hugs Sue d. Ohio

Top 200 Contributor
Female
329 Posts
Points 4,940
Answered (Not Verified) Sue replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 7:34 AM
Suggested by Sue

Hi Annie, I some times find a very soft stuffed toy and take all the stuffing out except the head but make it soft and open it up as much as I can and sew it to the quilt.

Hugs Sue D. Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,894
gini replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 3:19 PM

what a great idea sue.  

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use