Newbie From Michigan

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930
MaryLouise55 Posted: Sun, May 22 2011 9:58 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to QCA and I live in the tulip city of Holland, MI. I have not made my first quilt yet because I do not know how to use color combinations or sew a quilt together, and how to quilt the design that is on a quilt. I have been to several quilt shows and I love the quilts that I have seen, and dream of making my own. 

I have lots of fabric that I have collected over the years to make quilts with, but do not know how to get started. I am hoping to learn some ways about making quilts. Someday I would like to enter a quilt in a quilt show.

It is a pleasure to meet all of you.

Happy Quilting,

Mary Louise, Holland, MI 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, May 22 2011 12:14 PM

hello, mary louise, welcome to the group.  it is hard to get started.  pick an easy pattern with straight seams and don't worry about color for now,  just make one block.  if you like it, make another.   you can also do a mock up,   cut out miniature pieces of a block and arrange them until you like the colors.  i like to cheat and one way to do that is to pick a fabric you just love with a few or many colors in it.  use that to match colors that you like together.  you can also buy a collection that matches.  two color quilts are very striking, and anything mixed with black.  make a doll quilt, something small that you could donate to toys for tots or similar charity.  i use smaller quilts like that ot practice on.

a nine patch or four patch is a good place to start. log cabin is a bit more adventuresome, but has straight seams.  just jump in with both feet.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, May 22 2011 1:14 PM

Welcome, Mary Louise!  As an idea for color combinations, look at tulips--beautiful shading and some are multicolored!  Nature sure does know how to put some interesting combos together!  There is even a variety of greens!

Pat-"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the club Mary Louise.  I remember when I first started quilting I was very intimidated by everything, but I just jumped in and while I made many mistakes I learned along the way.  I am still a little intimidated by color but I am getting better at it.

It is best to start with a simple block, a four patch or nine patch like Gini suggested.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Sun, May 22 2011 1:55 PM

Hi MaryLouise,

I love playing with color, the bolder and brighter the better.  My first quilt was a baby quilt and I just used the basics for babies (it was a boy): light blue, light green, yellow and white.  I caught the bug really quickly and picked up a quilting magazine at the grocery store and color and pattern ideas just started popping into my head.  I don't think there really is a right or wrong color combination...just use the colors you enjoy.

Karla

Fernley, NV

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 22 2011 9:55 PM

As a former librarian, I like to learn from books, so you could stop in to your local quilt shop (LQS) and ask them to recommend one, or visit Amazon and look at the reviews.  I can also recommend the videos at QNN or watching quilting shows on public TV.  Another suggestion is to see if your LQS offers beginning quilting classes.

I like "Turning Twenty" as a good beginner pattern.

Please don't hesitate to post questions here for all your new QCA buddies to help with!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930

Hi gini,

It is nice to meet you. Thank you for the advice on how to get started to make a quilt. I think I might try and make a baby quilt for my nieces baby girl she just had. I like your idea of doing mock ups of a bigger version of a quilt.

Take Care,

Mary Louise

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the welcome. I look at flowers and the scenery every day. It is so wonderful how our master creator has created so many lovely colors. I have not seen the green variety of tulips yet.

I have seen so many different patterns for making quilts and I just want to make them all. But I need to learn the basics first.

Take Care,

Mary Louise

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930

Hello Margaret,

It is a pleasure to meet you and thank you for the welcome. What was your very first quilt that you made? I have seen this patch called the Shoo Fly or Snowball that my grandma use to make quilts in, and she made some very beautiful quilts. She made a quilt for each of my aunts and uncles out of clothes that they have out gown throw out the years and when they got married she gave each them their quilt.  I use to help my grandma quilt her quilts for her family and friends on a quilting frame.

Take Care,

Mary Louise

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, May 23 2011 10:20 AM

Sorry, Mary Louise---I meant the green leaves and stems.

Pat-"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,743
Points 364,857
Kris replied on Tue, May 24 2011 12:37 AM

Welcome Mary Louise.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, May 25 2011 5:36 AM

Welcome Mary Louise

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312
LadyRags replied on Wed, May 25 2011 10:28 PM

Find a local quilt shop and take a class in the basics you will be so glad you did.

Join WESTERN MICHIGAN QUILT GUILD in Grand Rapids ... or a quilt guild closer to you.

http://museum.msu.edu/glqc/

http://museum.msu.edu/glqc/onlinenewsletter.html

Happy quilting

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use