In need of quilt repair advice.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
429 Posts
Points 8,695
Sabrina posted on Wed, May 18 2011 8:08 AM

I have some older quilts that are in need of minor repair, and I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice on the best way to repair them. This first one is a quilt that my great-grandmother pieced many years ago. 

As you can see, I accidentally poked a hole in it with some scissors, and like a dummy, I also washed it before fixing it. The fabric is very thin. I think she used my great-grandfather's old hankies. What would be the best way to go about fixing the hole?

The second quilt I need to fix is the first full-sized quilt I ever made. I have been using it on my bed for the last sixteen or so years, and the seams are starting to pull loose in places.

I plan to retire this quilt so it doesn't deteriorate any further, but I would like to repair it before putting it away. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on fixing these quilts. I just don't want to make a mess of it by trying to figure it out myself as I have no experience with repairing quilts. Thank you in advance.

• | Post Points: 20

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Wed, May 18 2011 5:13 PM
Verified by Sabrina

sabrina, on the first quilt you can try two things.

one:  find an old hankie in an antique store, the same color weight and thread count, or as close as possible and just make a patch that you applique   on with a very thin lingerie thread or silk thread.

second:  get some very fine thread the same color, and do a very small running stitch as close to the edge as possible and depending on how stable that is, you might need to do one or two more rows.    then stitch the openings together'.  you could also put a little but of another hankie under this before you sitich the sides together.

the second quilt, i would try to match the fabric as close as possible,  put it under the old fabric. stitch the seam, just over the frayed area, but make the stitches into the fabric you have backed the frayed fabric with. .  depending on how stable that is, you can give it a little tug to see.   you might need to do some very tiny running stitches just beyond the  seam to hold the older fabric to that  backing.   you can also just make a matching patch to cover it.   

good luck  gini

gini in north idaho

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Wed, May 18 2011 5:13 PM
Verified by Sabrina

sabrina, on the first quilt you can try two things.

one:  find an old hankie in an antique store, the same color weight and thread count, or as close as possible and just make a patch that you applique   on with a very thin lingerie thread or silk thread.

second:  get some very fine thread the same color, and do a very small running stitch as close to the edge as possible and depending on how stable that is, you might need to do one or two more rows.    then stitch the openings together'.  you could also put a little but of another hankie under this before you sitich the sides together.

the second quilt, i would try to match the fabric as close as possible,  put it under the old fabric. stitch the seam, just over the frayed area, but make the stitches into the fabric you have backed the frayed fabric with. .  depending on how stable that is, you can give it a little tug to see.   you might need to do some very tiny running stitches just beyond the  seam to hold the older fabric to that  backing.   you can also just make a matching patch to cover it.   

good luck  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
429 Posts
Points 8,695

Thanks Gini. I'll give it a try. I should be able to fix it like you suggest, and this is much better than the way I would probably have done it on my own. I really appreciate your help.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use