Top 10 Posters

Naming Quilts

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 37 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 425
lady_ogma@yahoo.com posted on Mon, May 16 2011 7:03 PM

I have to ask - why do we name quilts? And have you noticed how often the names and the quilts do not seem to have any connection at all? I can understand if someone creates a new quilt block it needs a name so that we all know what it is, but naming quilts is a puzzle to me.

D

• | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Lets see, there is fly tying, actualy using the tlys by fishing, boating, weeding (?!!), mowing (didn't know that was a specator sport did you!!) baseball (or other sport) poker, anything I missed?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Friends, I have to say my DH listens when I talk about a new project.  I am also prone to saying, do these colors look right together, he always gives me an honest answer.  BUT-he just does not understand  Stash.   He can not figure out why I have boxes and boxes of fabric.  He is looks in when I am going through the boxes and shakes his head.  He often says Don't you have enough fabric, can you possibly make that many quilts? Some of it looks the same to me.  Nope it is the one thing he does not understand.  But I forgive him cause even though he shakes his head he never tells me no when I see a got to have fabric.

As for naming quilts, I name all of mine, it usually comes to me when I start the quilt and makes it easier to talk about. 

Granny M  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675

Bless his heart because even though my husband doesn't understand quilting, he understands my love of fabric.  I used to work at JoAnn's and everyday women would come in and tell me how they would have to sneak the fabric into the house and/or lie about their purchases.  I thought it was sad.  One day I came home and asked my husband if he thought I had too much fabric.  His answer - "Well, only you would be the judge of that."  He's sweet. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Prairie Dog:
"Well, only you would be the judge of that."  He's sweet.
  A real Keeper with that kind of attitude.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 30

I have the same question - but I've noticed no one is really answering the question.  I'd love to hear the answer - why do we name our quilts?

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 135

I asked the same question in a class.  I was told it is because of insurance.  If you have a picture of your quilt and it is named (proof is in the photo) then it is no longer a home made blanket.  As such, if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen, you can file a claim.  I have not asked my insurance company if that is true, but sounds reasonable to me.  We were told you need to ensure the name of the quilt, the maker and the date are clearly indicated on the back of the quilt and that you have front and back photos of them.  Hope this helps. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
80 Posts
Points 400

Good idea from sqweakyquilter's husband!  I have been working on a quilt (hand quilting) for ten years.  I just may borrow that name (Forever Quilt) as I do believe this is the longest it has taken (actually I hope to finish it in eleven years).  I like MNnancy's comment to Annie about naming a quilt she made using a designers pattern.  I have never named a quilt probably for the same reason that Annie gave, but I will think about it from now on.

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 220
CAS48 replied on Sat, May 21 2011 11:51 AM

I'm new to sewing and quilting.  My sweetie loves when I buy things to help me.  He's an auto tech and has way too many tools.  He understands the need for tools!  He made an extension table out of foam insulation ( the hard stuff) and a foot platform so I can sit properly when hovering over the machine.  His motto is, "get it".  lol.  He wants me to buy a new Janome Harmony or 11,000SE so it will be easier to quilt.  He's nuts, I could buy a car instead!  lol.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, May 21 2011 11:57 AM

Quilts are like art.  Every painting has a name.  Why not quilts?  The Mona Lisa...for quilting.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

I am with Jeanine,

A picture ofr quilt is just a picture or quilt until given a name! LOL! Like birthin' a baby, why go to all the pain, planning, and anguish and then not give it a personal name?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 430

The main reason I name any of my quilts, is a way to remember, & refer to them. I mean, if you getting to doing alot, how else can you keep track of them. So, in that respect, it's nice if they all have names. Not all mine are named, then again, I have more tops, than quilts, so it's not a problem, yet, lol. Do I name my machines, no, don't see a need to, & I didn't name my SUV either, lol....

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 230
Linny replied on Sat, May 21 2011 5:34 PM

My quilts name themselves. The name just usually pops into my head around the time I'm quilting it! They're usually right about what they want to be called! What's crazier is that my newer sit down longarm just told me what to call her...

Linny

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 100

Naming a quilt or any work of art can give the viewer a glimse into the artist/quiter's mind set when creating the piece. Also it identifies the piece as one of a kind and validated it's existance. Just my thinking , never read that anywhere but it is the way it is done and should be done.

Artsavvy

Deb in VA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Judy Lee:
Like birthin' a baby, why go to all the pain, planning, and anguish and then not give it a personal name?

Exactly!  LOL!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I have to admit that I have never named a quilt that I can remember but in reading this thread, it makes me want to.  I never name anything (besides my kids) until I had friends that name EVERYTHING!  Another friend asked me for the name of my new LA so that one stuck.  Maybe I'm on to something new in my life.  Let's see how creative I can be!!  I think I will stick to naming only my quilts. 

I just looked up and saw one of my quilts so I have to say I was not exactly truthful...I did name my "Sew Kitty" quilt.  I made that one about 10 years ago and it is my "binkie" that I take with me everywhere.  LOL

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use