Top 10 Posters

Naming Quilts

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 37 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 425
lady_ogma@yahoo.com posted on Mon, May 16 2011 7:03 PM

I have to ask - why do we name quilts? And have you noticed how often the names and the quilts do not seem to have any connection at all? I can understand if someone creates a new quilt block it needs a name so that we all know what it is, but naming quilts is a puzzle to me.

D

• | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I did a french braid quilt and set it with white and green stripes (sounds strange but it is geogeous!!)  I call it my French Garden quilt.  It looks like paths throught the floral braids and I'll quilt it that way with flowers vines and leaves.  thats why we name quilts, as you work, the name sometimes comes to you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, May 16 2011 7:26 PM

I have never named a quilt, I think in part because i have used other people's patterns and figured they already had a name, but I think I will name mine from now on.  Sounds like fun. 

Now that I have finally been shown how to up load pictures I will share my works in progress.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

I am working on my first french braid quilt.  I will now definitely have to think up a name for it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,542 Posts
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Mon, May 16 2011 8:00 PM

I like that QuiltDaddy,  I feel like a piece of my heart goes with every quilt that I make.  I feel so attached to them, that sometimes it is difficult to give them away.   So, I just send them with love and hope their owner likes them as well as I did.

Ginny 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Annie:
I have never named a quilt, I think in part because i have used other people's patterns and figured they already had a name

I like to take the name the designer gave to the pattern and put my personal twist on it.  After all, I chose different fabrics than the designer and possibly made some adjustments to the pattern and chose my own quilting motif, so it becomes something very personal to me.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, May 16 2011 10:12 PM

I agree Quilt Daddy, Funny how we can feel so passionate about the quilts in progress but can gladly give them away so easily to loving and appreciative people.

Top 500 Contributor
122 Posts
Points 2,583

I did a watercolor Irish Chain Quilt that I used 9 different fabrics.  I called the quilt " Find the Kitties" because one of the fabrics had cats hiding throughout a garden.  My family got a laugh out of the name.  My husband thought I should reference how long it took me to complete the quilt:)  His suggestion,"  The Forever Quilt".

Alice, Roanoke, VA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Non quilters have no real sense of time.

Top 500 Contributor
122 Posts
Points 2,583

They have no sense of time nor appreciation for the find art of collecting stash!

Alice, Roanoke, VA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

to true. ***sigh*** Its a burden that quilters have to bear.  the slow glazing of the eyes of someone you are happily explaining your new project to, the blank incomprehension as you triumphantly hold up a great deal in fabric, the love in our eyes when we pet our quilts.  They just don't get it. i feel sorry for them.  Of course, I do the same thing when my husband talks about his plane.  At lease I try to stay awake.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675

Oh Vivian,

You have to hear about airplanes?  I know seven different ways of rewiring a fishing boat.  When I have X's over my eyes and blood coming out of my ears, it's time to stop.  But I listen because it is very important to him and he is the absolute best.  One day, though, he is going to hear the whole process of quilt building and I mean from fabric selecting to binding.  He will never know it is a pay back and he will listen patiently and when I see the X's over his eyes and the blood trickle down his neck I will tack on one more minute, just 'cuz I can. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

He, he, he ,he,  not payback, SHARING. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
165 Posts
Points 2,030

That's called Scrollsawing at my house!  He's even got me helping him pick out the wood colors for his projects!  LOL!

Jaci – Streator, Illinois

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use