Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,225
Purdue Fan Posted: Sun, May 15 2011 11:28 PM

I am fairly new to quilting and am getting ready to attempt the Bonjour quilt from McCall's Quilting, Jan/Feb 2011. Has anyone else made this quilt? Any issues or things I should be aware of? This will be my first time trying pinwheels! And I've warned my daughter that I probably won't have it finished until winter time. I am not so excited about cutting out 600 something squares and rectangles!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 640

I too am only a year or so into quilting and sorry no I haven't attemepted this quilt, but I have done a very large quilt that has many pieces to it like the one you are attempting to do. check my blog out at www.sallysquiltingcorner.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, May 16 2011 7:49 PM

a very pretty quilt.  looks like it is mostly half square triangles.  Just whatch your points and direction if you use directional prints. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 640

Thank you for the compliment and thank you for the tip, I always need reminders so I stay in check, and remember to make things the proper way, so when I make another It comes out that much better...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Mon, May 16 2011 9:52 PM

Hi Sally,

I haven't seen the quilt in question, but if it is all or mostly half square triangles, I would recommend you try "triangles on a roll" or if that isn't feasible for you at least cut your squares 1/8 to 1/4" larger than the pattern suggests.  You can always trim down to size, but adding is hard to do if you end up to small.

Good luck and remember to breathe!

Sue in Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,225

Yes, breathing. Very important! I don't get tense when piecing, only when machine quilting. Ugh. Hate that part!

What are triangles on a roll? And no, I am not using directional prints. I KNOW I would mess those up! I made my daughter a pair of pj pants once, with one leg going one direction, and the other upside down. Uh. Ooops.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Mon, May 16 2011 10:20 PM

Triangles on a roll are a wonderful paper product that helps you make perfect half square triangles every time.  They come in a variety of sizes.  Check out the website for more info.  www.trianglesonaroll.com

I did look at the pattern via the McCall's website, looks very pretty and just a bit complex but not too hard.  Should make a great quilt.

Sue

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Tue, May 17 2011 8:41 AM

Sally I went to your blog and just love both your quilts, especially Nantucket Trellis, great job!  Did you make any of the others as they were all so pretty as well.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,955
Judi replied on Sat, May 21 2011 10:02 AM

Hi

I use either trianges on a roll, which is a wonderful product with various sizes available, or other products like that.  Some come ready to use sized for fat quarters.  But since I usually manage to not have the size I want in the middle of the night, I bought a fabulous and inexpesnsive program called Triangulations.  You can print numerous sizes of half sqaure and 1/4 square triangles right from a computer.  I use the paper piecing paper so the paper is easy to remove and I try not to remove any until I finish the square or sometimes the whole quilt.  If I use  asmaller stitch leght, I have no problem even removing regualr paper( for those middle f the night times!)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use