Top 10 Posters

Baby Clothes Quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 85
kbudt@kc.rr.com posted on Thu, May 12 2011 9:31 AM

I'm looking for info or tutorial for making a quilt using baby clothes.  Any  ideas?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,609 Posts
Points 418,109
gini replied on Thu, May 12 2011 11:09 AM

good morning kbudt,   it depends on how the quilt is going to be used.  i wouldn't use any delicate materials if it is going to get a lot of use.  for thinner material, you can back it with muslin or stabilizer to help support it and knit materials need to be backed with stabilizer before you cut them up.   other than that, decide on a patern,  start cutting and have fun    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 85

Thanks for the reply, Gini.  Would you suggest one pattern rather than another for the blocks?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,609 Posts
Points 418,109
gini replied on Thu, May 12 2011 2:03 PM

that really depends on your level of quilting ability.    i've seen miniature dresses and overhauls appliqued, that's really cute.  a simple nine patch works good.  you can use any pattern.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,771 Posts
Points 65,953

When I made a quilt from baby clothes for a customer, I went through patterns for scrap quilts until I found one that would work.  I used a pattern that had smaller blocks as well as larger.  In my case, she wanted to use LOTS of different clothes so I tried to fit as many as possible into the quilt.  This pattern came from the Quilts from the Heart book.  I like having some consistensy through the quilt (green fabric) so that it doesn't look TOO scrappy but be able to use enough of the clothes fabric.  It actually took about 3 months for me to get this far with this quilt.  Just keep playing with it until the quilt talks back!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
165 Posts
Points 2,030

Love it, Jeanine!

Jaci – Streator, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
122 Posts
Points 2,583

First of all, are you going to use the clothes as is or just the material they are made out of?  There are patterns on the market for "baby clothes" for boys or girls that you could use the material for.  How about a crazy quilt using the material and then include pictures of the baby in those clothes as a center .  Good luck , this is one where your imagination could really take flight!

Alice, Roanoke, VA

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 105
Judy K replied on Sat, May 28 2011 11:22 AM

I just finished one last month (6' X 10") my third, I kept the clothes in tact as much as possible on this one. To keep the bulk down I cut away a portion of the back of the clothes & sewed them to a 24" square of tonal fabric. I machine stitched them, using the embroidery stitches on my domestic machine, I did not use any batting as I found it made the quilt way to heavy (lesson learned the hard way). The other two that I made I cut the clothes up and did crazy quilt style using the same tecnique of sewing them to squares then sewing everything together. I tied them and used flannel for the backing. I did not do embroidery on these two as they were boys clothing but the last one I did was all girls clothing so the embroidery looked very pretty, I emb. along the edge of the outfit to hold it in place then any place else where it was plain to keep it more secure. I also did one out of all bibs using this tecnique and used receiving blankets for the background in place of squares. The receipient was extremly happy with both of them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use