Bible Quilts group?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615
Janice D. Green posted on Wed, May 11 2011 4:20 PM

I would like to see a group that focuses on making Bible quilts. We could discuss various approaches to making the quilt blocks or different themes for the quilts (Children in the Bible, Women of the Bible, Stores of Jesus...) I just started a blog on this topic, but I think a group in QCA might get rolling faster than a blog. Is anyone interested?

Janice 

Bible Quilts, www.biblequilts.com

All Replies

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 575

I would enjoy working through some ideas about Bible quilts and exploring the possibility of new Biblw quilt patterns.  Several years ago I went to a quilt show of a quilt artist who specializes in taking Bible verses and creating quilts from their messages. Her last name is Porter, although I cannot recall her first name off the top of my head.  This would also give me a way to combine my theological education with my quilting business.    

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

Debbie, It sounds like you would be a great asset in this group if we can get it started.

Janice 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

Header for my blog, though I still would like to see a group here on QCA.

http://biblequilts.com

Janice 

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 575

I just love your hexagon  patterns.  I'm still pondering how to create quilted stained glass windows that tell the Bible stories.  My thought is to applique the stories or pictures of them into large quilt blocks that could be used as quilted murals. Most churches have vast walls and do not have lots of stained glass windows like they used to in the Victorian era and baroque churches that we remember from our childhood.  I am starting with some large coloring books and outline patterns and hoping to go from there. I enjoy using avante garde fabrics or non-routine fabrics such as recycled curtains and oold blue jeans instead of going to the fabric store, which add to the intrigue.  It is just one more idea floating in my head, on top of starting a new sewing/quilting studio this spring.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

I am so excited to learn of your quilted stained glass window approach. Are you planning to make them to sell them, or is this your personal ministry? I use the hexagon/honeycomb with my pictures to emphasize that God's Word is sweeter than honey from the comb. Honeycomb Adventures Press, LLC is the name of my publishing business, and my Bible stories will be tagged as Honeycomb Adventures.

I am teaching myself to do the appliqué and the quilting since I live in a small town too far away from quilting groups at today's gas prices. My sister (500+ miles away) is an avid quilter so she has taught me something about finding the best fabric and avoiding certain stores. She doesn't share my passion for encouraging Bible study, so there are limitations on how much help I get from her.

I have looked at coloring books but I tend to have two basic problems with them. They are not proportioned to fit into the hexagon shape. In fact while most are vertical, some spread over two pages making them horizontal. This makes for a nightmare for a novice quilter (like me) to sew together. You may have noticed that on the quilt in the crayon-colored quilt picture. The other problem with coloring books is that they have faces which I avoid with my appliquéd quilt blocks. For that reason I want to create and market downloadable and printable coloring books along with my Bible storybooks that are illustrated with the appliquéd quilt blocks. 

Have you looked at Dover Publishing? I got excited over their nature coloring books so I ordered several of their Bible coloring books (including some that were intended as stained glass windows) only to be disappointed. Their artist was very talented as far as art goes, but I saw several things that showed me they weren't Bible scholars. I'd give you some specifics, but they've been put away for too long for me to remember the details.

Have you looked at my new Bible Quilts blog? Would you be interested in promoting the idea of Bible quilts with me, or do you prefer to keep your work more to yourself for now? I hope my blog will help generate interest in making Bible quilts and/or wall hangings.

Janice 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

Ooops, I thought that reply was going into a private email as I believe I sent you a private message earlier. Oh well, it probably doesn't matter.

Janice 

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 20
Gina replied on Tue, May 17 2011 9:36 PM

I am very interested in any Bible Verses that would be nice for a child quilt.  My cousin is adopting a girl from Ethiopia and I would love to make a quilt for her with some Bible verses on it.  The child will be older about 8-10 year range.   I do have an embroidery machine so I can do embroidery on the quilt.   I am looking for some suggestions.

Not Ranked
51 Posts
Points 785
Beth D replied on Wed, May 18 2011 2:10 PM

I've wanted to do a quilt made up of some of the different blocks that have Biblical names - Jacob's Ladder, Solomon's Puzzle, Garden of Eden, etc.  Maybe you'll inspire me to get going on that!

Beth

Beth in SC

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 575

Gina,

Look in a a biblical Concordance and look up Nubia (which is the African region southeast of Sinai and ancient Egypt), Ethiopia, and make sure you include Esther and Ruth who are both native African women in the Bible who are faithful, powerful and also adopted.  This will give you some places to start and give your new niece a reminder of her homeland while being welcomed into her new home.  I don't have my concordance, but there is a verse that ends..."and you will be my people", to remind us that we are all people of God.  Look up the word people in your concordance and it will give you the citation book, chapter and verse.  

For those who may read this and not know what a concordance is, it is a reference book that allows you to look up verses by each word of the Bible including the littlest of words like the, of, but more importantly in this case love, adoption, family, child, people, home.  Good luck, I hope this helps.  Have you considered looking for Ethiopian fabrics or patterns that would remind your new niece of her native homeland?  And, Congratulations!  A new child in your family is a special gift at any age.

I don't know your niece, obviously, but since she is older you may discover that she has some faith traditions from her native country, which has not only Christian, but also Islamic and traditional native faith traditions as well.   

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

Debbie, you have me confused... The Bible identifies Esther as Jewish and Ruth as a Moabite.

Janice 

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 575

One thing that we must always keep in mind when studying the OT is that there is a mix of races, cultures and clans inside the different communities and that the map and lineage lines that we know today need to be layered over the ancient maps to really see where and who these people are.  I discovered that many people do not equate Egyptians, Moabites, Nubians, or even Israelites as Africans just as we don't always think of the Persians as anything but Islamic, but there are cultural minorities living in all of these places even in ancient times regardless of where the political and geographic lines are drawn.  

Ruth is a Moabite which is also part of modern day Egypt making her an African.  She is adopted into Naomi's family and community from Bethlehem and then becomes the wife of Boaz.  It is through her faithfulness that Ruth shows us the importance of trusting those we love and how adoption itself can offer great gifts in life, in Ruth's case she comes into the lineage of Christ.

Esther's family is religiously Jewish, but we don't really know which country or which of the Twelve sons of Abraham she traces her lineage.  What we do know is that the twelve ancient "tribes" were scattered around the Sinai peninsula and Eastern Mediterranean area which was controlled by  the Babylonians.  Admittedly, I mis-spoke to say she was Egyptian, but the Sinai Peninsula was considered part of Africa.  Even though she is Jewish, my point is that she lives in Persia away from what would have been her ancestral homeland.  If we assumed that she was from Judea, one may wonder if she lost her family in the war with the Babylonians or during the transport to Persia after a the fall. What we know, her uncle, Mordecai was raising her, thus she was adopted. We also know that they  have lived in Persia long enough to be welcomed into the king;s court. Even though she would have understood the Jewish culture she lived as a Persian in the Persian court until after she became queen.   Jews of the diaspora, lived in Persia, but Israel as a country did not exist at that time and Esther would have not had any understanding of being from Israel or even Judea. Life  in the king's court gave her many advantages over other Jewish women.  Through her courage and wisdom she saved the Jewish people.  The reason to include her story in a quilt about being adopted into another land or family from another country is to show that their is still a way that she can make a difference for those she  may be feeling that she is leaving behind.  This is especially important for someone who is old enough to have friends and family that she will remember.  Even though this young lady will be raised in the US, she will always have some memory and knowledge of her family of origin and her culture of origin.  She may grow up to be one of the people that will make a difference in the lives of her native people because of opportunity offered her as an American, just as Esther was able to make a difference in the lives of the Jewish people, even though she probably never spoke Hebrew or attended the Temple of her family of origin.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
101 Posts
Points 1,615

I wish we would get a few more responses here for a Bible quilts group.

Janice 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
209 Posts
Points 3,700

I'm following the discussion to see where you guys are going. I'm interested in the concept.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:06 AM

I love reading all the discussions on this thread.  A Bible quilt sounds so interesting.  It will be great to see what you do with this.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use