rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,862
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 12:26 AM

KATHYC-3:

I, too, just finished a queen sized yo yo top and now am looking for the perfect fabric for backing. I am attaching some pictures of a vintage yoyo that I saw at a quilt show...it may give you ideas.

Kathy - welcome to QCA and what a pretty yoyo quilt... Do you know how old it is?  Very very nice... I can't imagine making that many yoyos - making the ones for the snowmen and santas and the Christmas trees is enough for me...lol  I suppose though that if I made yoyos while sitting watching tv at night that I could make a lot of them... nah!!! lol - but I can't wait to see your yoyo quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 355
KATHYC-3 replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 7:50 AM

The backing does seem to have some type of an embroidery stitch...not sure it could be herringbone....embroidery is not my thing. The edging is what drew me to this quilt at the show. The bed I plan to use mine on has a squared off footboard that always catches the holes between the yoyos....the main reason I decided on a backing.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 355
KATHYC-3 replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 7:59 AM

I had a lot of help on mine. A friend of mine and her mother gave me many of the yoyos. They had made several yoyo tops and had the yoyos left over. I figured it took me about 15 minutes to put a block of 25 yoyos together and there are 99 blocks in my top. I can't tell exactly how long the whole thing took because I worked on it over several months between other projects...it was a good hand work project.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 355
KATHYC-3 replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 8:00 AM

thanks for the welcome. I am enjoying this site.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 8:55 AM

Seeing that you were given yoyos by friend, shows me that perhaps making yoyo from scraps as one comes across them then putting away in plastic box for future use would be great.   I just believe that backing a yoyo quilt, throw, whatever will preservie the integrity of the quilt and workmanship. JHMO

Thanks for sharing Kathy, yes I'm also a newbie, welcome to the club!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 355
KATHYC-3 replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 5:54 PM

that would be a great way to gather yoyos and use up scraps....wish I would have thought of it. I like making scrappy quilts and quilts from the stash. I try to use at least one fabric from my stash in each quilt (but of course I always buy more for the stash)

I have been quilting for about 30 years off and on....work, family, etc. took up much of my time but since I have been retired, I'm quilting up a storm!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 594
Points 24,165

Hi Joni,

I just posted three of your yo yo quilt photos under Show & Tell. Thanks for your patience! They look beautiful!

Best wishes!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,862
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 7:01 PM

On my way to look at them Liz!  thank you for your wonderful work behind the scenes for us!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 594
Points 24,165

Here are a couple of the pictures so you can see them here:

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,862
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 7:16 PM

Liz - as I posted in show and tell - it is amazing... unbelievable the work that had to go into this.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:06 PM

Joni:

Need help with YoYo Quilt TOP!  How do I back and bind this lovely top?

Approximately queen size and quite heavy.

Many thanks, JBG

Joni,

did you decide to leave the quilt as is or are you going to back it?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:32 PM

Joni

Your Yo-Yo quilt is gorgeous. What a tremendous amount of work. 

Again it is absolutely beautiful. 

Wow How long did it take you to make all the yo-yos?????

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:07 AM

EDITH:

Joni

Your Yo-Yo quilt is gorgeous. What a tremendous amount of work. 

Again it is absolutely beautiful. 

Wow How long did it take you to make all the yo-yos?????

Edith asked all the questions I was going to ask! I think we're all spending too much time together! Your quilt is beautiful.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:20 AM

Joni, I love the way you blocked your yo yos' in groups like this. And the colors that you used. Beautiful job.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 7:51 AM

Liz  Thanks so much for posting my YoYo quilt..

Ladies!

Thanks, it is a gorgeous quilt, I bought it from a sweet lady in the hills of NC.  She was going to put it in a yard sale, but allowed me to purchase it instead.  This lady lives in an assisted living home and I believe is in early stages of Alzheimers.  Yes, after seein the above post of the finished YoYo with a simple tied backing of what appears to be muslin, I thnk that is how I will finish this beautiful work of art.

My sister, who knows this lady is getting the info about her and the quilt, I plan to attach this information on the back, hopefully with a photo.  I'm so blessed she allowed me to get this quilt, I treasure it already, although, there are many hour of work left to do.  I hope to begin this in a couple months, nice cold weather project with the wood stove burning bright and warm.  I will definitely be warmed many times over before it is completed.

Thanks again for all your wonderful comments.  I will be sure she gets to see them and perhaps even read them online when I next visit my sister in North Caroline, probably Thanksgiving.

Joni

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use