A sewing machine for a young girl.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 2 Followers

posted on Thu, Apr 28 2011 2:43 PM

My great grand daughter aged 8, decided last August that she wanted to learn to sew. By December she had made gifts for her whole family. She was eager and learned quickly. For her 9th birthday she now wants her own sewing machine "with all the buttons". In other words she wants a digital. I am leaning toward a Brother  CE 5500 computerized machine. What do you think? any pros and cons on this ? Any other suggestions?

Joan A.

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Joan,

I am partial to Baby Lock who has the A-line series and light weight machines that would be perfect to learn on and keep forever!  I already had an embroidery machine and was looking for a really durable light weight machine to take to classes.  The Audrey was my choice.  It is elctronic and has if I am not mistaken over 60 stitches to choose from. It is not as expensive as the others.  At the shop that the girls and I sew at, the work bench has Singers and Brothers.

• | Post Points: 20
replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:42 PM

I guess I need to clarify things a little more. Liana has gone completely over my machine, top to bottom and side to side. She has even taken it apart to clean it and put it back together again. She tried to sew on her grandmother's (my daughter) and she told her she didn't like it because it made 'loops' and wanted it to be more like mine. I wish I could show her progress from Aug to Dec.but I don't know how to add pix here. I really think  that she is well aware of the value of a sewing machine.

Joan A.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:47 PM

Joan you are the only one who knows what your DGD is ready for, go for it!  Her love of sewing will only increase as she enjoys her computerized machine.

Me I'm regressing, wanting a treadle machine like I learned on...

replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 6:10 PM

Joni, your response lit an old memory. I too learned how to sew on my grandmother's treadle machine. She died in the middle 1940's and I was given her machine. (Am I giving away my age here?) I taught myself to sew. I began making my own clothes. I even learned how to make button holes  and sew in zippers on that old work horse. I friend of my mother's saw how I was progressing and gave me an old dress form which we immediately named "Aunt Bedelia." Do I yearn for those good ole days? No. I think that I am very happy with my computerized machine. And I am beginning to think that is what Liana will want too.

How did we ever manage on those old treadles?

Joan A.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 254,929
Barbara replied on Fri, Apr 29 2011 10:27 AM

Joan, I think it is great that your DGD has a love for sewing, I personally think a good Brother with some computer setup would be a great machine for her. It has enough on it to give her some really good skills. The Project Runway machines are really good machines for learning everything she will need ,and attachments are easy to get. I just think it is awesome she loves to sew and I hope she will continue to want to ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Fri, Apr 29 2011 2:06 PM

Joan

I think it is awesome that your DGD wants a sewing machine all her own.  Only you know what she is ready for and how advanced to go on the machine.  Brother makes some good machines.  Have fun sewing with her.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,771 Posts
Points 65,968

I always had old or cheap machines growing up so when my daughter was ready for her own machine, I bought her a Janome (can't remember the model) but I wanted her to have a good machine so she wouldn't get frustrated as she advanced her skills.  Now at 25 she still has the machine and still uses it all the time.  I believe it is worth the investment.

replied on Mon, May 2 2011 9:42 AM

Thanks to all of you who replied. I have placed my order and am anxiously awaiting the delivery. I can't wait to see the look on my DGGD's face when she sees the machine. I  hope I can wait till her birthday to give it to her. I guess I am just as excited as she is. I will try to get a picture of her .

Joan A.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, May 2 2011 9:57 AM

Bravo!  Be sure to have your camera at hand to record the joy on her precious face!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 254,929

Joan, make sure yo take some pictures so we can see to , We are  nosey bunch lol...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

replied on Tue, May 3 2011 7:14 AM

Boy, Boy,is my age beginning to show! I finally realized I could post a picture here. The pillow was Liana's first attempt at sewing. The Christmas stocking was the last gift she made. I always love the look on her face when she turns something she has made to the right side and sees the finished project. Her dad recently brought me a pair of cotton curtains to shorten. Her reply was "I told him I could do it if I had a sewing machine".

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,658 Posts
Points 136,092

She is doing great Joan

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
820 Posts
Points 12,614

Joan, the stocking is beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.