Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 142
Points 2,710
Cheri Posted: Wed, Apr 27 2011 10:32 PM

I am soooo glad to finally be back on the computer. I haven't been able to sew all week due to all the flooding. As soon as I evacuate one building I have to do another. Our mechanic shop has about 7 feet of water in it and my office is in the back of a UHaul waiting to see if it needs to go to higher ground. Anyone else been effected by weather this week??

Cheri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 2:53 AM

Storms hit our part of the state today. I live in northeast Alabama, and we've had tornadoes rolling through the state all day. The main power lines from Tennessee are down, and they are saying the power will remain out for 7 to 9 days in most of our area. No sewing for me this week. Now is when I wish I had a treadle sewing machine. The only reason I have power now is that I'm at work, and we have a generator. I work for 911 in my county, so we have to have power. We haven't had any deaths reported in our county right now, but we expect to have some as soon as it gets daylight enough for search and rescue to get back out. Please keep Alabama in your thoughts and prayers as we work through this crisis.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 395

My prayers are with you. I'm looking at the news now and it's so bad. Be safe! I live in central Illinois and am familiar with tornados. Quite a rough spring for so many! Keep us posted please.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,520
Points 50,910
Ginny replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 7:38 AM

Oh, that all must be most frightening.   You have a very important job to handle also.  It was certainly a frightening and devestting time in you state.  I pray for all of you and that you have relief from any more tradgedies.   

Keep safe.

Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 185
Points 2,800
Meggov replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 8:03 AM

Not effected but have seen all the pictures and reports on TV.  Devestating and very scarey.  All effected, please take care - we are all thinking and praying!

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I poked my head outdoors early this morning to see if we had any more trees down.  I don't see anything from the porch and plan to go out walking around soon.  My friend that got let go the same day as me called first thing this morning to make sure I was OK because she had heard about a lot of damage in our county - so far 2 dead in Griffin and 2 in Barnesville.  Our damage isn't near as bad as Alabama's!!! I woke up several times last night to massive thunder and lightning but thankfully no "freight trains".  Fortunately Chirs was able to get all of the steel roofing onto David's shop yesterday before the bad weather rolled in.  My prayers and thoughts are with all of those who have suffered such devestation.   

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:07 AM

Glad you are ok Marge, I posted  elsewhere before I read this string.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 165
Points 2,030

Prairie Crafter:

I live in central Illinois and am familiar with tornados.

I'm in central Illinois (Streator), also!!  We had a tornado hit our town last June...three blocks from my house!  Where are you Prairie Crafter?

Prayers to all affected by the tornadoes and flooding.  May God protect you all!

Jaci – Streator, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,167
Points 111,240
Linny t replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 11:52 AM

May God bless and be with all of you in these storm stricken areas!

I was in a tornadoe when I was a little girl.  You know, that fear never leaves you, because when I saw the stories on the news that memory came right back.  The Freight Train sound!   

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:05 PM

It was very scarey here last night.  Tornadoes were touching down all around us with reports of SOFTBALL size hail.  MY heavens softball size is almost unimaginable.  Thankfully we only experienced horrible thunder and lightening with heavy rains.  We have report of one death in a southwest Va county so far and terrible damage all through the southwest part of the state.   This weather is unbelievable.   We may have 2 or 3 tornado watches a year and usually no more than maybe 2 or 3 small tornados spotted throughout the entire state.  There have been at least 5 reported tornadoes in the past 2 days.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 640

Gotta hate when the computer or sewing machine breaks down. I feel such anxiety when this happens. It's like I can't

survive if this happens....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:33 PM

Praying for all of you.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:42 PM

So glad to hear that so far everyone is safe.  Is there anyone else from the storm ravaged areas who hasn't checked in with us yet?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jjgoldston replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:55 PM

Hi  Nana,

I am from Arizona, so have never seen a tornado. Although my prayers are sincerely out there for all of you folks also.

Jacqueline

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Can't think of anyone in Alabama, Nancy.  The storms are headed towards Cindy's neck of the woods but I think they are on the road.  What about Leslie and Barbara??? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use