Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine Posted: Mon, Sep 14 2009 6:46 PM

We had a wonderful quilt retreat this past weekend.  Our second one and it was very well received.  We had 24 ladies including my mom, daughter and niece so it was very special for me.  Ages were from 13 - 75 and from at least 4 states.  I think we are on to something and can't wait to start planning our next retreat.

I taught the Stack N Whack Kaleidescope quilt.  This is one I had made beforehand and it was given to Allyn (1st row above, second from the right)  She has made me some very wonderful cross-stitch pictures.

This is me with one of my blocks.  I actually got 8 block finished even with helping everyone else on theirs.

I guess Chloe was actually the youngest at the retreat (5 weeks old.)  She's wearing a poncho I crocheted for her.

My daughter's finished quilt top and she even made a matching pillowcase with the scraps.

My niece's block.  She finished most of her quilt top without borders.  She has great stamina for a 13 yr old but a full day of quilting, even with a break to go to a quilt shop and for meals, was too much.  She ended up taking my camera and getting some pictures.

This quilt was made queen-size.  I think she won the most productive for the weekend.

This is my mom with her block.  I think she won the best fabric choice award!  I just love it.

It was a great weekend.  Wanted to share the results.  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 6:54 PM

Jeanine, thank you for sharing - what a wonderful memory - looks like you all had fun - pretty quilt too. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 7:00 PM

Janine, it looks like a good time was had by all.  What is the secret for choosing the right fabric for a S&W quilt?

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 7:08 PM

Sandy Hicks:
What is the secret for choosing the right fabric for a S&W quilt?

Big prints, lots of color, lots of variety.  This will give you the biggest differences between blocks.  Usually the ugliest fabric that you would have no idea what to do with it may make a great S&W!  Smaller prints with less colors will give a more subtle difference but that may be what you want.  I think to make a fun and surprising quilt, I like the blocks to look totally different to the point where you can't believe they all were cut from the same fabric.  And then to put the fabric that you used as the outer border so you can see what the fabic started out as.  It is just a fun quilt.

This is an example where the differences is more subtle.  There are lots of colors which makes this one look good but the design was consistent and the same size.

This one offers more variety in the blocks.

Hope that helps.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 7:08 PM

Oh boy Jeanine, what a great weekend for you.  That looks like so much fun and what great quilts .  I have never done a "Stack-n-Whack"  but hope to in the future.  Thanks for posting pictures.  It makes it so much easier to see what you are talking about.   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Thanks, Jeanine, for sharing pictures of your retreat. The resulting quilts look great! I'm always surprised at the end products!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Great pictures Jeanine.  I think a retreat would be so much fun. It looks like you all had a wonderful time. Thank you so much for sharing.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 8:19 PM

Jeanine,

thanks for the look inside your weekend retreat. It looks and sounds like you had a great time. The quilts are all beautiful.

I bought a stack and whack book years ago but never made anything from it. I'm not even sure I still have it. These quilts make me want to give it a try.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 8:24 PM

Jeanine:

This one offers more variety in the blocks.

This one is my favorite.  You say that is all from the same fabric?  Wow!  What was the source of the pattern if some of us want to try this?

Thanks for sharing!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Jeanine--

Thanks for sharing your quilt retreat pictures of the S&W quilts.  Looks like a wonderful way to spend a weekend.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 9:47 PM

MNnancy:
What was the source of the pattern if some of us want to try this?

The book we used is Magic Stack-N-Whack Quilts by Bethany Reynolds.  We made the first quilt in the book, Kaleidescope.  The directions are not 100% clear so if you want to try it and have questions, ask!  The biggest thing to remember is you need 8 repeats of your fabric no matter how wide your repeats are.  There is no getting around this (I tried!)  It is a great quilt to make and can be addictive because of all the mystery of what your blocks will look like.  (Yes, this quilt in the picture was out of the same fabric!)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 10:06 PM

Jeanine,   That looks like so much fun and what great quilts . 

I have never done a "Stack-n-Whack"  but hope to in the future.  Thanks for posting pictures.  It makes it so much easier to see what you are talking about.   

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 10:10 PM

thanks for the look inside your weekend retreat.

Jeannie where did you have your retreat?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 10:18 PM

Anita:
Jeannie where did you have your retreat?

We had it at a small church camp in Louisville, NE.  We had connections with the camp through my church.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Wed, Sep 16 2009 9:27 AM

Jeanine:

his is my mom with her block.  I think she won the best fabric choice award!  I just love it.

It was a great weekend.  Wanted to share the results.  Thanks.

Hi 

What a wonderful retreat. I am so envious. What beautiful quilts. 

Next time . I'm coming .Just Joking. 

Edith

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use