rated by 0 users
This post has 142 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720
jay-marie Posted: Mon, Sep 14 2009 5:24 AM

Hi There

I am new to this my name is Jay-Marie and I am a Scot living in Hampshire in the UK  you are all probably fast asleep as it is 11.am my time which means it is the middle of the night in the US so if there is anyone who can't sleep or is working nights Hi. We are having a lovely sunny day with blue sky and a nice breeze so I should take my 3 Cavalier Spaniels for a walk but I am going to do some quilting first.

Please introduce yourself I don't go to work due to health problems and am home most of the time so some friends on line would be great.

Jay-Marie

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 245
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 6:51 AM

Welcome Jay Marie,  Boy you are far away.  I get up every morning at 4:30 and usually get on the computer before I head out to work.  Sometimes I try to get a little  quilting in before I leave.  What kind of projects are you working on right now?   We love to see pictures!    I am working on a quilt that hopefully my daughter and I will finish while I visit her next week.    I have also started a miniature quilt.  The pieces are sooooo tiny.  I'll post a pic when I'm finished. Hope to see you on line more.  Everyone here is so helpful. I think you'll enjoy this. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 6:53 AM

Hi Jay-Marie and Welcome,

I'm Diana from East Tennessee in USA.  I'm retired and moved here from Upstate New York State after retiring.  I've been quilting for about 10-12 years.  I've been married for 41 years.  No kids, but have 1 dog and 2 cats that hubby and I inherited from his brother.  I'm usually up at ridiculous hours of the morning so may run into you.  Time is only 5 hours difference so not too bad.   I have my best friend in the world lives in Nottinghamshire.  I taught him how to quilt a number of years ago but he's had strokes and can't do a lot of it anymore.   I've been over on that side of the pond almost 10 years ago and want to go back.   I'm in the process of making him a quilt for his birthday next month.  It's going to be a warm day here.  Autumn is finally starting.  Cool nights but still warm during the day.   We have a huge quilting community here in Tennessee.  If you're new at quilting, just ask if you need some help or questions answered.

Welcome again,

Diana from East Tn.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 7:19 AM

Morning Jay-Marie and welcome.  My name is Shelia and I live in Texas.  I am getting ready to go to work.  It is raining here, but about to end.  At least the weather is starting to cool off.    I am also a new member.  There are lots of nice people to talk to here.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Hi Shelia,

What part of Texas are you from?

Welcome to the forum Jay-Marie.  I already know you are a good soul - you like quilting and dogs.  I have two Airedale Terriers.  They are my fur kids. 

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 9:19 AM

Hello Jay Marie and welcome to QCA.  Well, I'm not an early bird like some of the other ladies, so don't expect any early replies from me!!  We have another member who is in Australia and one in Hawaii, but I think you are our first from UK.  We are so glad to have you with us. 

I have four cats as my fur kids and two of them are quilters (at least they help).  We like tradional quilting and really enjoy the older patterns.  What style of quilting do you prefer?  I would love to see some pics of your projects.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Jay-Marie and welcome to QCA.  Glad you have joined us.  I'm up late some times, so, hope to catch you on-line some time.

Spudgrandma

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,864
gini replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 9:58 AM

hi jay-marie,   i'm gini. i live in north idaho, just a few miles south of  british columbia.  i retired  and moved home to watch grandkids.    they are now in school  five days a week, although the five-year-old is only in half days this year.   but that means more time for quilting.    we live in a very outdoorsy place on a big lake with a ski mountain right up above us. we are in a finger range off the rocky mountains.   in summers we golf and camp and in the winters we ski.  we are  having one of the warmest falls.   it is supposed to be 90 degtrees on wednesday, usually we are in the 60's    i'm ready for snow.    

my husband's great grandparents immigrated from scotland.   welcome and i hope you enjoy your time here.   

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Jay-Marie

So nice to meet you.  I've never had the pleasure of a trip to the UK, but have family roots in Sheffield, England as my maternal grandmother was born there, emigrating to the US at age 17.  I live in Washington state just north of Seattle in the city of Everett.  Since 2005 I've been enjoying retirement from teaching elementary school.  When my husband  of 41 yrs died suddenly and my mother's health began to decline, I returned to her home in Florida to care for her. My daughter, son-in-law and grandson moved into my home to take care of it while I was away and when I returned after Mum's death in 2007, we decided to keep the living arrangement.  I love having the multigenerational household, but grandson, Kelson is nearing 20 yrs. old so probably won't be with us too much longer.  We also have fur children, 2 cats named Renegade and Nagase who keep us company--when THEY want to.

Didn't mean to ramble on so and just realized that I didn't even mention quilting!  That will be my story for another day.  Again. welcome to the group.

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 445
Dawn replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 11:34 AM

Hello Jay-Marie,

I am another newbie to this site and new at quilting also. I just needed to see what others are doing as I have no personal friends that quilt. I love to see what all these lovely ladies suggest and chat about. I am in Florida, ususally sunny, but oh so very hot these days. Wish I had your breeze! Care to share?? :) I have a huge German Shepard who takes me for walks...but I try get on here when I can. I hope to see you on here again. Have a wonderful day and I will include you in my prayer requests for better health soon.

Baskets of Blessings, Dawn

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 11:39 AM

Hi Dawn, I'm in Ft Myers, FL.  Where are you?

Welcome to QCA.

Southwest Florida

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Pam

Great to hear from you. At the moment I am working on a bag that you can put an iron in even when it is hot I find everyone likes my iron so it is being used up till the last minute at workshops so this seemed a good idea. I got the pattern from the US and I am using very bright fabrics so I will try to post a pic when I am Finished. You really do get up early for work what time do you start?

I would love to do a miniature quilt one day as I have some little Teddy beds one is cast iron and one is a set of wooden bunk beds they are Boyds bears as I used to collect bears before I got into quilting so now all I buy is quilting related.

Enjoy your visit with your daughter

Jay-Marie

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Diana

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have been quilting for 3 years now but am still very much a beginner and would love all the help I can get. My wedding anniversary is on 27th Sep and I will have been married 29 years. I have 2 sons The eldest Luke is 26 and has just joined the Metropolitan (London) police which he loves. My younger son Richard is 25 and he works in security in Heathrow Airport. My husband is an ex Master at Arms in the navy a bit like the military police so I think there is  a   theme running here I was also in the British Navy so it must run in the family somehow. Tennessee I know nothing about other than it is in the south so is it really hot there and what are your winters like? How did you meet your friend from Nottingham is he American or a Brit? You must post a pic of the quilt when it is finished what is it like? 5 hours time difference is not bad at all and I am often awake at night so it will be great to have lots of conversations about quilting as it is not that big here but I hope will get bigger.

Great to hear from you Diana and I will sure be asking for help

Many thanks Jay- Marie Messitt

Hampshire, England

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 445
Dawn replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 12:28 PM

Hi Sandy,

I am in Saint Johns, FL. Which is between Jacksonville and Saint Augustine, total opposite end of the state from you, :(   Thanks for the welcome! What's your end like today? Hot and more Hot?? Waiting for some cool soon! Do you have any family up in the Jacksonville area? One of my very close friends is a Hicks too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 12:30 PM

Hi Jay-Marie,

welcome to the group. So glad you could join us. i'm a West Indian living in Maine. My sister is currently in South Hampton going to university there. She's studying international law.

I work night and I'm usually up most nights.

Page 1 of 10 (143 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use