Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 145
Piddler Posted: Sun, Sep 13 2009 1:14 PM

I have 12 blocks that I have hand embroidered.  I want to make them into a quilt.  I bought some complimentary colors to make plain squares and borders to finish it.  I was just wondering what one could do instead of a plain pink square between the emboidered blocks. I want to accentuate the hand emboidered blocks and not over whelm them.  I am fairly new to quilting.  Could someone give me some ideas/advise.  Thank you so much.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

One of the things you could do, Piddler, is make a 4-patch or 9-patch block to go in between. I think that would look nice and would still accentuate your embroidered blocks. You could then use the same 2 or 3 colors in the borders. Or you could just have 12" blocks of the plain fabric for the blocks in between the embroidered blocks, but use sashing strips in between and above and below all the blocks. This would be fairly simply, too.

BTW, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums on QCA!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Piddler and welcome to QCA. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,349
Points 242,062
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 4:10 PM

Piddler welcome to QCA.  Instead of just plain blocks you could do a rail fence block - 4 of them in one block of the colors to match your blocks.  You could do a simple 8 or 6 pointed star.  another neat block to do is the friendship star.  A simple nine patch would work nicely or a square in a square - those look very nice as setting squares.  What are your hand embroidered blocks of? 

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 350
Genice replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 4:11 PM

I also embroidery as well as quilting. I have just put a solid block between the embroidered block, I have also put a print block between the embroidered block. My last quilt I made I put print sashing between the blocks with a corner block in a different print and print borders around the whole quilt and I loved how it turned out.

What type of embroidery are your blocks?

Genice

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Genice, welcome the QCA forums! I love the quilt in your avatar! If you get time and feel like you want, would you introduce yourself to us, please? We are a nosy bunch! LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 4:57 PM

piddler, welcome.    i have the same dilemmq.    i found some beautiful hand embroideried blocks at an antique store.     they are embroidered on muslin, and are quite large.    i think i'm going to do an irish chain between the blocks.   a single irish chain.   that way i can pull in some colors from the embroidery, but the blocks will still be the focus.     gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 350
Genice replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 5:15 PM

Hi Judy,

I guess I should have introduced myself, I am new with QCA forums.

My name is Genice and I have been sewing since I was 12 yrs. old. I first started sewing clothes until I became interested in making quilts. I have quilting in my DNA so it was inevitable that I would quilt one day. My mom is a quilter and her four sisters were quilters and they all made a lot of quilts. I have three sisters which do not quilt, so that is why I call myself the quilting sister.

I have started four star quilts that I call "Sister Star" these are for my three sisters and one for myself.

I have been enjoying the forums, thank you.

Genice

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,349
Points 242,062
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 5:25 PM

Genice, Welcome to QCA - if you could do an introduction post, we would love it - that way those who don't open this thread would know that there is a newbie and welcome you the generous way that we welcome all newbies to the site.

We enjoy having you here...

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 350
Genice replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 5:33 PM

Thank you Althea,

I guess I should have introduced myself, I am new with QCA forums.

My name is Genice and I have been sewing since I was 12 yrs. old. I first started sewing clothes until I became interested in making quilts. I have quilting in my DNA so it was inevitable that I would quilt one day. My mom is a quilter and her four sisters were quilters and they all made a lot of quilts. I have three sisters which do not quilt, so that is why I call myself the quilting sister.

I have started four star quilts that I call "Sister Star" these are for my three sisters and one for myself.

I have been enjoying the forums, thank you.

Genice

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Sep 13 2009 5:38 PM

genice, what  a wonderful idea.  you have some very lucky sisters.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 7:23 PM

This is a pattern I use a lot for scrap quilts but it would work for embroidered squares, too, instead of the solid blocks.  The 9-patch (or four-patch) could be made out of the same fabrics in each block.  The black sashing works well for scrap quilts but you could use a color that coordinated with your colors.  It also makes an interesting look to do the quilt on point.  I think that looks a little more elegant if you want to spend the extra effort on that. 

That's my two cents.  Welcome to the forum!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Nice quilt, Jeanine. I,too, like the use of black in my quilts.

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 145
Piddler replied on Sat, Sep 26 2009 10:06 AM

I have several wonderful suggestions.  Thanks to all of you.  I am going to start serious planning this weekend.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,349
Points 242,062
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 26 2009 10:49 AM

Judy Iliff:

Nice quilt, Jeanine. I,too, like the use of black in my quilts.

I ditto Judy on the nice quilt Jeanine, I like the look of black but I really hate sewing on black... it is so hard to see those stitches - but it makes the quilt so dramatic - you dont' miss the quilts that have black in them at a quilt show - they stand out.

I love scrappy quilts and didn't we just have about 5 magazines that came out all about scrappy quilts... then all the books recently about jelly rolls and strip piecing have tons of scrap quilts in them.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use