Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 200
Ann Sims Posted: Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:23 PM

I have sewn for as long as I can remember, but have only been quilting for about 10 years.  Due to work schedule and family, haven't had much time to complete projects.  Now retired and working on building my stash.  I have 2 quilts underway.  One is near completion and the other is in the beginning stages.  Enjoy all forms of sewing and have revived my interest in knitting with the addition of a new granddaughter.  Love all the information available on line.  Makes finding what you need much easier.  Look forward to reading post from other quilters.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,715
Points 419,639
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:50 PM

hello ann welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 7:03 PM

Welcome, Ann.  Can't wait to see pictures of your quilts when they are done.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 8:43 PM

Welcome Ann.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,850
Points 382,232
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 11:22 PM

Hello and Welcome Ann.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 2:08 AM

Ann

Welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy your time with us.  There are lots of very friendly quilters here that love to share experiences with each other.  Hope you will chat with us frequently and share pics of some of your creations.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:35 AM

Hello and welcome !!!

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,842
Points 181,383
Marie replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:52 AM

Hi Ann welcome to our family and be sure you check out all our groups to see which one or ones you would like to join.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:23 PM

Ann Sims:
I have sewn for as long as I can remember, but have only been quilting for about 10 years.  Due to work schedule and family, haven't had much time to complete projects.  Now retired and working on building my stash.  I have 2 quilts underway. 

This sounds just like my story except that my years of quilting number only three.

What strategy are you using for building that stash?  I learned the hard way that my strategy was all wrong.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:28 PM

Is this the start of a mystery novella, MNnancy or are you going to tell us a good strategy for how to build a stash?  LOL!  I read your post and found myself holding my breath looking for the page button to turn to the next post to see how to do it!  Waiting ..... waiting ... waiting ...    ;  )

We want to know both, by the way ... the right way to build stash and your story about what happened when you learned the hard way that your strategy was all wrong. 

... turn page ...

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:29 PM

Duplicate

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:36 PM

Welcome, Ann!  I am a newbie to quilting and to QCA too.  We both have new granddaughters too.  Mine just moved out of newborn onesies.  She's growing already.

Congratulations on your retirement.  Now, you and I will wait for the rest of MNnancy's novellas:  The Wrong Stash Path  and the sequel The Successful Stash Strategy.     I'll bring the popcorn, you bring the quilts and we can read together.  LOL!  Welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,650
Points 140,823
Stephanie replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:48 PM

Hi Ann,

Welcome to the site. Look forward to seeing your projects and hope you explore some of the groups as well.   Congrat's on being retired and the new granddaughter.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:49 PM

Hi.  Is this Kath, as in formerly "Quilt-less Kath?"

Stash building has been discussed here many times and there are nearly as many opinions as there are members.  (try the QCA search tool for stash or stash building)

The Wrong Stash Path:
My early strategy was to buy lots of FQs and 1-yard lengths of fabrics I liked.  I learned that might be okay for scrappy quilts or applique, but whenever I found a pattern for something non-scrappy or more recently when I tried to pull fabric for the latest mystery quilt on QCA, I found I almost always needed more than one yard.  I discovered, too, that my stash it too heavily composed of large bold prints, and those can't usually be combined into one quilt. 

Nancy's New Stash Strategy:
My new strategy is to buy 2-3 yards minimum, 4-5 yards if I absolutely love it, and even more if it will make a good back.  I also make more effort to purchase plenty of yardage of great blender/filler fabrics, especially when they are on sale, for coordinating with any main prints.

I could possibly buy into the notion that building a stash for future use is not absolutely necessary.  If you find a great pattern, there's nothing more fun than heading to the LQS to find the perfect fabrics from the newest collections for that pattern....but I also now know how much fun shop hops are, and for sure you need to buy a little from each shop that you visit....and what's more fun than shopping sales whether you have a pattern in mind or not....it's important to support your local businesses after all!

Another Point of View:
Here is a column I enjoy re-reading from time to time when I think my stash is getting out of hand.

Paralyzed by the Stash

Would anyone else care to chime in here?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 5:12 PM

This is indeed Quiltless Kath.  I've been busy at work so I haven't been posting for a while.  Hi MNnancy! 

I'm still new enough that I'm still absorbing everything everybody says as the gospel truth.  I'll have to search for stash building to see the other opinions.  Your points are well made though. 

Until recently I had almost no stash.  Just one pack of 250 pieces of 4x4 charms and the fabric I was using for a current project.  I made my first three small quilts from the charm pack.  I took pictures of my sewing area and Gini (I think) quickly asked why she didn't see any stash.  Observant that one.  Can't get anything by her. 

No stash?  How quickly that changed.  Shortly after my granddaughter's birth I spent a Saturday afternoon in my LQS that was having a 30% off everything sale.  Now I am swimming in pink flannel, yellow teddy bear flannel and white fluffy sheep on mint green flannel!  I also have pink satin for binding, white satin and white ditzy print cottons for backings.  Oh, and don't forget the hot pink and white minky yardage pieces!  Then there were the big bundles of batting too.  (Remember when I posted that I'd used batting for the first time? That was in January of 2011!)  Oh dear.  

I bought lengths of things for specific projects so I'm okay there.  I may have some scraps left.  I did wonder though, how much I would buy of things just for stash.  Your suggestions are well taken here.  I'd say your novella gets a very good review.  ;  )

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use