Truly a Newbie in Alaska

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 525

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you-- on the road again!  My folks came to visit a few years ago and we drove the Anchorage-Fairbanks route with a stop in Denali.  It's worth it.  Mom and I also cruised the inside passage.  It's almost enough to make me consider getting a job in the postcard areas, but I'd miss my job and my students too much.  I hope you do take the time when you can.  It's definitely worth it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 85

Hi Mary Ellen, and welcome.

I have been to Alaska on two occasions, it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Of course we traveled the highways, but I would think some of the places you can get to by air are some of the places I would be in awe of.  I hope some day to get to the inside passage.

Marilyn

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:30 AM

Mary Ellen:
We don't have any roads, and, with only a few exceptions, the village lacks running water and sewer, but the community is pretty large- about 1200-1300 people. 

Now that's rural!  Okanogan county in WA state is the largest in the state, and much of it is national forest or state land.  but looking at total acres and population, we come out to about 17 people per square mile.  We just seem to congregate in the valleys with occasional homes in the lower hills. 

I would love to see some pictures of your area.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use