Top 10 Posters

Binding: Bias or not

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 225
horsequilter posted on Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:03 PM

OK, experts, give me your stuff.  I'm finishing my first quilt:  a KING size, started in 2003 and  here I am about ready to bind it.  It was constructed using quilt-as-you-go, and boy, what a lot of trouble I've seen and things I've learned along the way!!!  It will be used as a bed quilt, washed often.  My question is:  Is there an advantage to using a bias binding, as to wear-ability?   What, if any, are the pitfalls of using bias for binding?  Can the bias be doubled?   If bias has no advantages, I'm planning on using a double French-fold binding applied to the top and folded to the back, then stitched in the ditch from the front.  I just can't see finishing this thing if I hand sew the binding on the back!!   It's already been EIGHT YEARS!  Any and all of your advice would be appreciated!

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I always use the double French fold, and my quilts have laundered beautifully.  I became disenchanted with hand sewing bindings after just a couple of quilts, and now I use the Martelli zip bind system with their stitch-in-the-ditch foot.  I don't think that would work well with bias binding as it might stretch.  Heaven help me when I make my first curved edge quilt that requires a bias binding, because then I think I'll have to hand sew it.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:33 PM

I always use a double fold binding.  Have never bothered with bias.  Also wash my quilts alot and have never had any problems.   I sew my bindings with the sewing machine as well.  I probably would never get the bindings done if they waited for me to hand stitch....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I do not use bias binding unless I have curves to worry about or in some cases to get a striped fabric to look diagonal but that's about it.  I sew my double fold binding to the back and then fold to the front and machine stitch it down from the front.  I have had better luck with this method and it looks fine.  I don't hand-stitch too many quilts but I have to say I still prefer the look of the hand-sewing.  It doesn't hold up as well, though.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,800 Posts
Points 122,995

Hi Horsequilter - I  cut my bindings 2-1/2" wide, fold over and press, sew on the back and bring to the front and sew with a simple decorative stitch. It's very durable. I will cut the binding on the bias (using the continuous cut method) if the binding fabric has stripes or a squares/plaid pattern.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,574 Posts
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 1:42 PM

Hi HQ, I haven't tried it yet but Pat Sloan has a method I'm anxious to try.  Looks very easy, nice, and sturdy.

file:///Users/mariegengarelli/Downloads/pat-sloan-machine-binding-tutorial-final.pdf

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,574 Posts
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 1:47 PM

HQ, highlight the "file" I sent you and right click then open.  Hope this works.  If it doesn't go to:

www.patsloan.com       and look up binding tutorial.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 225

Thanks to all for your quick replies and insights into binding.  SF, thanks for the link to the tutorial.  Now I know just how to tackle this last hurdle!  Talk to you all again soon!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
546 Posts
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 6:05 PM

I use binding 

Happy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Judy T,

You answer is why I joined Quilters Club.  I am definitely going to do my next binding with the decorative stitch...I never thought of attaching my binding to the back and turning it to the front.  It sounds  easy and fun.  Up until now all of bindings have been done by hand with very small stitches and it is time consuming.

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 325
LeAnn replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 7:16 PM

I always use 2 1/2 in strips unless I am binding a curve.  i think this size works best for me.They seem to stand up to wear and tear and.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I don't actually mind hand sewing the binding on.  My DH watched me one night and asked if my "fancy new sewing machine couldn't do that"  Which of course it could, I'm just not accurate enough to stitch in the ditch on the front and still make the back look good at the same time.  So hand sew it is for me.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 12:51 PM

I always use double fold bias, sewn on front and hand hemmed on back.  Bias holds up better and longer than straight cut, especially on quilts that get a lots of use and washing.  Always use continous cut method.

I also like to make Sawtooth binding/edges, Simple, decorative, long lasting (except for teething babies).

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 2:44 PM

Joni:

I always use double fold bias, sewn on front and hand hemmed on back.  Bias holds up better and longer than straight cut, especially on quilts that get a lots of use and washing.

ditto what joni says       gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
31 Posts
Points 530

Hi MNnancy, I have never heard of this French Fold binding could you please tell me how to do it. Thanks so much. Sue

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use