Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,135
Jo Ann Simmons Posted: Fri, Sep 11 2009 2:00 PM

As I was considering a new project today and looking at fall colors, I began reflecting on the question - Is there a time of year I like better than others for sewing/quilting?

My conclusion is that I find something special about each time of year, (i.e. colors of the season, snowy days, holiday fabrics etc.) to make that time of year the best for sewing/quilting.  So ultimately my answer is no I don't have a special time of year.  The lack of time is my major issue.

Do others have a time they enjoy more than others or is it just the lack of time that is the major issue?

Jo Ann

• | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,260

Hi Jo Ann:  I don't think there is any one special time of the year - maybe when it's too cold to golf!  But fall/winter are my hibernating seasons (I'm a Michigander retired to Tennessee) and I get a lot more quilting done then.  Oh, but the colors do draw you in....

Judi, Loudon, TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 248,227
Thea replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 2:46 PM

JoAnn - I think you fit the group - you need to come to our next Quiltholic meeting and out yourself...lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 2:52 PM

Jo Ann,

I like to sew all the time. I try to do a little everyday. I get more done when the weather is bad.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I'm learning to like to sew in all seasons. It has taken me awhile, though. When I was teaching, I only sewed in the summer since that's the only time I felt I had large blocks of time to sew. Now I can see why people sew in the winter and not so much in the summer. I'm pretty good at procrastinating in all seasons, though, so who knows what this winter will bring. Last winter I couldn't sew because of the remodel. Maybe I'll discover I really can be more productive during the winter!

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 166
Points 4,190
Janie replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 4:06 PM

Hi Jo Ann,

My favorite time of the year is the fall. I love the colors, the crisp air and the warmth of my sewing room. I tend to get most of my sewing done during the fall and winter. When spring approaches, I get the itch to get outside.....sewing, not much until the fall returns.

Janie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I would not say a special time of year to quilt but Fall is my favorite time of year in general.  I just love the cooling weather and the harvest and the leaves turning, I just love fall and Spring would have to be my next favorite.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 9:42 PM

I am with you Spud. 

Fall, Winter and then Spring

I Hate Summer when it is hot and Humid. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 248,227
Thea replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 11:00 PM

Edith, Doesn't the heat help your RA/OA - it does wonders for mine - I love the dry heat though - when we have storms it just hurts really bad... hot and dry!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,539
Points 416,934
gini replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 11:20 PM

jo ann, i  quilt whenever i get the time.   i  do less quilting in the winter, because i try to ski 5 days a week.   fall before the snow hits is probably my most productive time.   this  fall we will be gone for over a month, but i have my little 1/4 inch hexagon flowers all ready to go for the long plane rides.   i have it semi-calculatd, 15 minutes to baste and 20 minutes to sew them together.  we have an 18 hour flight one direction and a 13 hour lay-over somewhere.  i gotta get  the timing worked out.    i just hope i take enough to keep me occupied in airports and on the train, too.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Sat, Sep 12 2009 9:54 AM

Where we live in Ont . Canada and right on the lake. It is very, very , humid. From just taking tips from this site and you ladies. I was up til  3 am this morning and finally thinking from what someone posted I put heat on my back and finally got to sleep. 

Mind you I am not complaining and I know if I have a night like this I will sleep well to-night. 

I wish it were dry here. We burn wood in our airtight in the winter and I love it. A nice dry heat. I am also going to invest in a dehumidifier as someone also suggested on this site. 

Had therapy on my lungs yesterday and had a nice hot bath this am. Every thing helps. 

I can not believe the tips I have learned on this site. My saving grace. 

Luv you guys. and Thankyou 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Jo Ann--

Like many others in the group, I'm an all season quilter.  But unlike some, I'd have to choose summer as my over all favorite time of year.  The only season I don't enjoy in WA is winter because it's so dreary with the gray drizzly days, but then that does make for great quilting weather.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

gini:

Gini--

You should be able to get tons of hexagons done during this trip.  Can't wait to see the results and hear about your fantastic travels.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Sat, Sep 12 2009 11:39 AM

Hi JoAnn--  I would have to say that my favorite time is after harvest is done and the fence and cows are up and home.  That brings me into mid-fall to start.  I do most of my quilting in the fall and winter months when there really isn't much to do unless hubby says let go here or there.  I love to have the house to myself and put music on (sure beats the roar of the trucks I drive) and just sew.  If  James is home I just feel like I should be doing something else with my time. I'm not a person to have the most *** and span house (it's lived in, not sterile) and I don't do a lot of baking because I don't need the extra weight. So instead of watching the boob tube all the time that's when I start trying to be creative.  It's always an extra plus when I finally get a top done and pat myself on the back with the way it has turned out.  Fall thru the spring are my most sewing months.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 80
Angiebear replied on Sat, Sep 12 2009 11:58 AM

Hi Jo Ann,

This is my first post. While I do quilt year round, I especially enjoy the fall. Here in the heart of Texas, fall arrives kind of late compared to other parts of the country, but as soon as it turns September, my thoughts naturally turn to the upcoming holidays, and I begin to get excited about holiday quilting projects.

Today (Sept 12) we are blessed here in Austin with some good rain, which is so welcome after a long, hot and very dry summer. I don't care if it rains for a week! That way, I'll have a good excuse to just stay in and sew.

I am fortunate that I'm not working now and have lots of time to devote to my passion. Before it was pretty much limited to Saturday mornings, and whatever time I could steal from my husband, family, etc. I have been indulging myself and love it!

Angela

Angela

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use